maxswolfsuit
I'm posting my son's IQ!!!
Max
March 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I saw an interesting facebook post from an acquaintance this week. 

She had her preschool age son tested for the gifted program and he qualified. She posted his IQ score on her facebook page. 

I found that to be pretty tacky. 

First of all, his IQ isn't as high as she thinks it is. LOL And it just seemed like kind of childish bragging. 

Would you ever post your child's IQ on a public forum like that?

Replies

• DrDoofenshmirtz
    March 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

No, that is tacky.  It is on thing to be excited that he got into a giftedprogam, but another to post his score. Now you have me curious, what is it?  We just had a parent at school test their child and now thinks she is a genius because she is at 115. And I would say average at our school is 125, so that made it even funnier.

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    March 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

No, that is tacky.  It is on thing to be excited that he got into a giftedprogam, but another to post his score. Now you have me curious, what is it?  We just had a parent at school test their child and now thinks she is a genius because she is at 115. And I would say average at our school is 125, so that made it even funnier.

It was above average. But they used a private evaluator who gets considerably higher scores than the school psychologists at all the local schools. 

His was in the low 120s. High for sure. But nothing out of the ordinary. 

• kmrtigger
    March 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I have in the past bragged that all 3 of my boys tested in the gifted program here in our local school district. But I have never posted the scores on FB, or here on CM.

I am aware that each area has different types of testing. And each child is tested for different parts of the test. One of my boys was tested for the reading portion, another the cognitive thinking and the third for math. All of whom scored way above average in those areas. One of the three decided he wanted to go into the enrichment (gifted) classes at the school. The other two didn't want to be bothered with the special classes. They are given harder work than some of the classmates and projects are expected to be more advanced for them. But that's fine.

• Kris_PBG
    March 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    That would not qualify for the gifted program in my district! Does it in hers???

And no - I would NEVER do that!!! Who does that???? (Well - obviously besides this women!!!)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

It was above average. But they used a private evaluator who gets considerably higher scores than the school psychologists at all the local schools. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    March 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

He must have had an alternative qualification because of income. 

The cut off is 130, but if the student is low income they can qualify with lower if they demonstrate gifted traits. 

It seems like all the kids who test with this one psychologist end up just barley making it. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

That would not qualify for the gifted program in my district! Does it in hers???

And no - I would NEVER do that!!! Who does that???? (Well - obviously besides this women!!!)

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

• TroyboysMom
    March 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Absolutely not. My child's IQ is his business, no one else's. Be proud that your child tested in the gifted program. That's a wonderful accomplishment, but it doesn't define her child any more than his IQ does. 

I think using IQ as some sort of status symbol is ridiculous.

IQ does not define ability, intelligence or skill.

• indymom72
    March 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

My little man has had some big accomplishments in Kindergarten but i keep the bragging to family members. lol...I find it tacky to broadcast it.

• Kris_PBG
    March 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    Same criteria as our district - and we have one private psychologist JUST like that too...

Amazing how her kids that are tested can often barely make it in the program - or have to be asked to leave...

So she is bragging about her child's non- gifted IQ that she needs to use her free/reduced lunch status to get him in the program? Lol - oh dear!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

The cut off is 130, but if the student is low income they can qualify with lower if they demonstrate gifted traits. 

It seems like all the kids who test with this one psychologist end up just barley making it. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    March 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I'm not sure she really gets that. 

She hasn't met with the school. She just got the private report I don't know if that into goes into plan B. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Same criteria as our district - and we have one private psychologist JUST like that too...

Amazing how her kids that are tested can often barely make it in the program - or have to be asked to leave...

So she is bragging about her child's non- gifted IQ that she needs to use her free/reduced lunch status to get him in the program? Lol - oh dear!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

• kaylasmom22
    March 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    I don't care what my dd's IQ is neither have I even attempted to test her for the gifted and talented. I know my daughter is smart but it doesn't mean every child that is smart is gifted.