Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
mommy053008
Kindergarten Play Day
March 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I just got an email from my daughters school that they will be having a Kindergarten play day april 19th. 

The afternoon is set up as follows:

1:00- 1:30 p.m.- scavenger hunt through the Elementary School in small groups
1:30- 2:00 p.m.- rotating through each of the (3) Kindergarten teachers' classrooms for story reading, craft, or
                          snack
2:00- 2:45 p.m.- divide into two groups and split time between organized games in the gym 
                          and free play time on the playground

As a "thank you" gift for attending, each child will receive a "name of school" Kindergarten Round-Up t-shirt, a cowboy hat, and a bandana. 

She will attend Kindergarten at the school starting in August. They are doing such neat little things for the upcoming Kindergarteners. They will also have Kindergarten day at the end of July/early August where the kids will meet some classmates and teachers and have a huge pizza/pool party.

I am very nervous as she is my first kid entering big kid school (she is currently in a 2 day a week Prek). At least the school is making Kindergarten seem fun and exciting for the newest members to a school setting! We definitely picked the right school! 

Did your school do anything to make your Kindergartener feel not so overwhelmed? Did they have any fun play days?

Replies

• Pukalani79
    March 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM

That's a neat idea.  I hope she has fun

• mommy053008
    March 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Oh me too when I read her the email she was bouncing up and down. She is a very big social butterfly.

These are my girls! 

Quoting Pukalani79:

That's a neat idea.  I hope she has fun

• frndlyfn
    March 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

No but they do have a preschool "cub"night once a month for those entering kindergarten.  DD went from no formal schooling to kindergarten in one day.

• SahmTam
    by SahmTam
    March 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Our school had a bus ride/safety day in August before they started school (we always start in September).

When school starts 1st-12th grades start on a Wednesday, but that Wednesday or Thursday (A-M goes Wed., N-Z goes Thurs.) the kindergarteners go with their parents to their classroom and get to have a play day with a few other classmates and a helper while the teacher gives an orientation to the parents. It eases them into their classroom. Then on that Friday they go for real.

They always got an intro letter over the summer from their new teacher, too.

Have fun! Kindergarten was probably my favorite year with my kids! I can't believe it was already 2 years ago for my youngest "baby"!

• mommy053008
    March 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Most schools in my area do a "phase in" the school we chose for her does not do a phase in at all.
    She will also get a letter in the mail stating which teacher she gets and some other general info.

I wish our schools started in sept.

Quoting SahmTam:

Our school had a bus ride/safety day in August before they started school (we always start in September).

When school starts 1st-12th grades start on a Wednesday, but that Wednesday or Thursday (A-M goes Wed., N-Z goes Thurs.) the kindergarteners go with their parents to their classroom and get to have a play day with a few other classmates and a helper while the teacher gives an orientation to the parents. It eases them into their classroom. Then on that Friday they go for real.

They always got an intro letter over the summer from their new teacher, too.

Have fun! Kindergarten was probably my favorite year with my kids! I can't believe it was already 2 years ago for my youngest "baby"!

• la_bella_vita
    March 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    Sounds fun
  • mommaFruFru
    March 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Our school.foes camp.kindergarten the last of april/first of may. It's from 6-8pm. The kids meet all the teachers, get a shirt, meet PTO, do a craft, read stories, tour the school,ride a school bus, and get a snack. They also get summer packets, and backpacks

Then the week before schol starts they have meet the teacher night. With dinner
  • mommy053008
    March 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    The end of July early august they have a kindergarten bash where they meet their teacher tour their room and have a swim/pizza party

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Our school.foes camp.kindergarten the last of april/first of may. It's from 6-8pm. The kids meet all the teachers, get a shirt, meet PTO, do a craft, read stories, tour the school,ride a school bus, and get a snack. They also get summer packets, and backpacks

Then the week before schol starts they have meet the teacher night. With dinner

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    March 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM

No play days like that- what a great idea!

They do have an ice cream social a few days before school starts so kids can drop off supplies, find their classroom, and meet their teacher.

• mommy053008
    March 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

that's awesome she has a beginning of the school year swim/pizza party but first they tour their classroom meet their teacher and kinda just get a feel for kindergarten! I cannot believe we are already at kindergarten age. 

Quoting wakymom:

No play days like that- what a great idea!

They do have an ice cream social a few days before school starts so kids can drop off supplies, find their classroom, and meet their teacher.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN