Featured Posts
rsrangel
Behavioral issues
March 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Anyone dealing with any behavioral issues in school? 

My son goes to a small private school.  They don't have homework besides studying spelling words.  He likes to pretend he's doing his work then hide the papers instead of turning them into the basket.  His teacher says she knows when he's done it because he gets all nervous.  Then after searching his desk and bag she will find them crumpled up and send them home where he gets in trouble.  LOL!  I have to laugh because I just don't understand why he continues to do it knowing he will get caught.....especially when he acts so nervous about it!!!!    

Replies

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    March 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

No, we aren't dealing with behavior issues.  My DS is in K & can get pretty distracted by what everyone else is doing & not get his work done, but his teacher has been working with him & he's getting a lot better.

How old is your son?  Does he not know how to do the work?  Could he have questions but not dare ask?  I know some kids just don't ask for help - but I don't know what you do to help them with that.

• janitablue
    March 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

This might seem like a dumb question have you ask him why he does it and also have you talk to him about how important it is to turn in his work.

• rsrangel
    March 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Quoting janitablue:

This might seem like a dumb question have you ask him why he does it and also have you talk to him about how important it is to turn in his work.

His response is always "I didn't want to do it".  Some of it he understands, some of it he doesn't and she is always right there to help if he needs it (however, half the time he rolls his eyes or throws a fit over having to listen).  It's more laziness then anything.  For example:  They were supposed to answer some questions in complete sentences, but he would just answer it in 1 word.  (He knows how to write a complete sentence).  She sent him back to his desk and told him to fix it.  He came back with 2 words written instead of 1.  She sent him back 7 times before he finally realized he wasn't going to win and brought it back up with it written in a complete sentence.  He just literally doesn't want to do it.  He hates anything that requires him having to put pencil to paper, reading, or if it requires him to think then he hates it.  We've tried to explain to him that it isn't a choice.  He's only in 2nd grade and he's done this since the day he stepped foot into kindergarten.  His work will only get harder and will require more to be done, therefore he has to just realize that whether he likes it or not, he has to suck it up and do it. 

• Jessiejack
    March 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Sounds like he is bored. Maybe the work is just to easy, he doesn't have to think. They need to challenge him. 

• Newfie_Mom
    March 9, 2013 at 11:44 PM

The issue we are having right now is the "I cant" attitude. I swear DD says I cant do it one more time I am going to scream, especially since DS (2) is picking up the behavior. This is especially true when we do math homework, I sit with her and help her through the problems but wont tell her the answers. So she gets frustrated and says I cant do it.

• frndlyfn
    March 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

My dd tends to do the same thing with her at home work.  She wont turn it in.  She is in the first grade so the teacher is doing her best to impart responsiblity with the students so mornings go smoother during the getting settled routine they have.  We give her consequences when she will not do her work in school or at home.  She hates with a passion writing in the homework journal but loves the reading part of it.  For math we have a chart 1-100 listed so when she gets stuck on math problems she can use that to help.

• janitablue
    March 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I don't know if this might work have you consider trying a reward chart. It does not have to be  expensive, it could be a play date with his friend, or movie night with popcorn at home of the movie of his choice. Good luck

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting janitablue:

His response is always "I didn't want to do it".  Some of it he understands, some of it he doesn't and she is always right there to help if he needs it (however, half the time he rolls his eyes or throws a fit over having to listen).  It's more laziness then anything.  For example:  They were supposed to answer some questions in complete sentences, but he would just answer it in 1 word.  (He knows how to write a complete sentence).  She sent him back to his desk and told him to fix it.  He came back with 2 words written instead of 1.  She sent him back 7 times before he finally realized he wasn't going to win and brought it back up with it written in a complete sentence.  He just literally doesn't want to do it.  He hates anything that requires him having to put pencil to paper, reading, or if it requires him to think then he hates it.  We've tried to explain to him that it isn't a choice.  He's only in 2nd grade and he's done this since the day he stepped foot into kindergarten.  His work will only get harder and will require more to be done, therefore he has to just realize that whether he likes it or not, he has to suck it up and do it. 

• Luv.My.Kidz
    March 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Right now I'm going through the "I can't" or "I'm not smart enough" phase with my 12 almost 13 year old. 

We make his teachers sign off in his agenda to make sure that he has all of his homework wrote down. When he's "Done" (usually when he says he's done) with his homework he'll bring his agenda, all of his homework. 

• susieQ680
    March 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

huh my son used to do rthat until i punished him no he don't

• AnGLInterrupted
    March 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Have you had a really in-depth conversation with your son's teacher?  Have you spent time listening to her talk and the way she speaks ABOUT the kids and about her style of teaching?

And have you had an in-depth (as in-depth as you can get with a child) conversation about with your son about WHY he didn't want to do the work?

The reason I ask is because he might be afraid of getting it wrong.  He might be afraid of messing up and the easiest way around that (to a child) is to NOT do it.  The way I figured it when I was in 4th grade was that I was going to get it wrong anyway and get into trouble..  might as well not even bother with the work.  KWIM?

I could be way off base.  I don't know what grade your son is in...  but I do know from personal experience that just because you're paying big bucks (or any bucks) for the education doesn't mean the educators are better.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts