Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
sarahjoy
12 yr old riding a city bus...advice
March 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My oldest who will be 12 in September will be going to middle school.  We have 3 middle schools in our district.  The one we are in is about a 15/20 min walk away, she would have to walk there.  Our middle schools are theme based.  The one in our area is Arts based (elective classes would be culture art, theater and media).  The other school we are considering is an Environmental Science based (elective classes would be environmental art, environmental technology, and advanced technology also gym lessons are based outside alot of the time and they do conservation activities in the area.)

My daughter LOVES science.  She would florish in the environmental school.  She tests way above level in math and science.  Its def. her thing.  She wants to be an Environmental Engineer as a career. The other school is does not have anything she is interested in or good at.

The science school sounds perfect for her... the catch... bc we are not in that area we would need to provide transportation.  I am also a teacher and leave before the school opens so i can not drop her off.  I don't know how reliable family members can be.  So my mom mentioned.. what about the City bus?

Would you let your child ride the City bus to school everyday?  

She had always gone to school with me so this will be her first experiance away from me.  I'm nervous about it but I think its just the fact that she has never really been away from me during the school day.  

Replies

• Barabell
    March 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I live in a major metro area, and I see kids starting to ride the city bus at this age. But it's a personal choice. There was a charter junior high that I was really interested in for my son, but he would have had to take the city bus through a certain part of town I wasn't comfortable with. I talked to a co-worker that took that same bus line, and she didn't like the idea of a 12 year old taking that particular bus line either. There is another school to the south of us that I would be comfortable with him taking the city bus to, but he was not interested in that school. 

To be honest, a lot of parents in here have younger elementary kids. You might want to try posting this in the Moms With Teens group. I see a lot of posts in that group for 11 and 12 year olds. Here is the link:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/101187

• my4littlegirls
    March 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I don't see why not. As long as you take maybe a few trips with her during the summer so she would know her route she would have to take. Maybe once you are there you can find a friend or a neighbor that she can car pool with.

• sarahjoy
    March 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Thats a great idea to do in the summer... i didn't think of that.   Thanks.

Quoting my4littlegirls:

I don't see why not. As long as you take maybe a few trips with her during the summer so she would know her route she would have to take. Maybe once you are there you can find a friend or a neighbor that she can car pool with.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    March 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    It depends on the kid. My oldest could handle it, middle DS would space out and end up two towns away! LOL

If you decide to do so, maybe you can find another parent to carpool or pay to take your child.
  • Lorelai_Nicole
    March 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I would do like another parent suggested, and do some trial runs together in the summer. Also, you said you didn't know how reliable family members could be. Have you actually asked anyone, or is that feeling based off past events? I would try to arrange a ride, and use the bus as a last resort, when-a-relative-flakes-out type of thing.

• sarahjoy
    March 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I havent actually asked anyone yet... I mean it would be asking someone to get up every day early early drive across town to take her to school.  Her grandma on dad's side doesnt work but well she doesn't exactly do many favors and doesn't really help much.  

Her dad doesn't currently work but is "looking".  I dont see him getting  job any time soon bc well he doesn't have a good record for that.

There is alot of unstructure going on with the kids' lives right now and I like to have routine for them.  They go to their dad's every other week.  He only lives a block away so she could still catch the bus at the same stop even when at her dad's house.  

He has a habit of sleeping in and not being reliable now and all he has to do is have them ready in the morning for me to pick them up to take them to school with me... and he can't even do that.  So I am trying to not have to depend on anyone but myself at this point.  I also could ask my grandpa but they already do so much for me and he again would have to drive all the way across town.  

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I would do like another parent suggested, and do some trial runs together in the summer. Also, you said you didn't know how reliable family members could be. Have you actually asked anyone, or is that feeling based off past events? I would try to arrange a ride, and use the bus as a last resort, when-a-relative-flakes-out type of thing.

• Lorelai_Nicole
    March 3, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I see. It's hard when the father isn't helpful. :( I would try the summer bus rides and see how that goes. If your DD seems comfortable with it, then I don't see why not. My oldest DD is 13 now, but she was mature enough at 12 that she could've done it.

Also, don't necessarily rule out the grandfather, depending on what else he has going on in his life. My grandfather, from the time I was 7 until well into high school, drove 10-15mins to come pick me up every morning, took me back to his house, and then drove me to school when it was time. (5min ride there.) Then picked me up after school and kept me until my mom got off work. Whenever my mom felt guilty about it, he reminded her that he had nothing else to do with his day but crossword puzzles and talk radio, LOL. He said it gave him a purpose. I know not all grandparents are like that, of course, just thought I would give you his perspective. :)

Quoting sarahjoy:

I havent actually asked anyone yet... I mean it would be asking someone to get up every day early early drive across town to take her to school.  Her grandma on dad's side doesnt work but well she doesn't exactly do many favors and doesn't really help much.  

Her dad doesn't currently work but is "looking".  I dont see him getting  job any time soon bc well he doesn't have a good record for that.

There is alot of unstructure going on with the kids' lives right now and I like to have routine for them.  They go to their dad's every other week.  He only lives a block away so she could still catch the bus at the same stop even when at her dad's house.  

He has a habit of sleeping in and not being reliable now and all he has to do is have them ready in the morning for me to pick them up to take them to school with me... and he can't even do that.  So I am trying to not have to depend on anyone but myself at this point.  I also could ask my grandpa but they already do so much for me and he again would have to drive all the way across town.  

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

• xtwistedxlovex
    March 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM
    Our district is very open and allows students to use (school) routes that are already in place and transfer between them. Any chance you could work something like that out?
  • Jennyanne322
    March 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM
    It depends on the child and their maturity level. I was taking the city bus home at 11. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just talk to her about it and see what she wants to do. Can you get her an iPod or something so she can listen to music or something while on the bus? I find people don't bother me on the bus when I have my ear buds in.
  • frndlyfn
    March 3, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I would talk to her and perhaps do trial runs on weekends this year so you could tag along and see how comfortable she is.   Where i went ot middle school it was either walk or use city bus to get there and it was just regular middle school.   I usually walked in all sorts of weather.   Where i lived the city bus drivers kept an extra eye on any students under the age of .18 that rode their route.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN