Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
gatormommy4114
Help me to get my kids to clean up after themselves, please :)
March 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Hello all, I am a mom to 3 kids ages 10, 9, and 5. Their rooms are always messy. I will finally have enough and go do it all, making them help, but within a few days the rooms are a mess again! I really don't think at this stage in their lives that I should have to hold their hands and help every step of the way, when I am done writing this I am going to go make space in the back porch/ laundry room for all the toys. I have taken the laundry basket out of their bathroom in an attempt to make them take dirty things directly to the laundry area, now it ends up in piles all over their floors. I really don't know what else to do to get them to want to clean up. We have tried taking things away, sticker reward charts, fun incentives for keeping a clean room. I am at a loss as to what to try next!!!

UPDATE in comments :)

Replies

• Morrigan333
    March 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM

when they have no clean clothes to wear to school..they'll clean. Make them do their own laundry..and PAY for it..they pay you X amount of $  to wash, x amount of $ to for the dryer use. They fold, iron, etc. If they don't..you may do it at a cost of $_______________ to them. They pay you BEFORE any laundry is done. 

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    March 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We have a rule in our house that by 3 pm on Sunday of that week all rooms have to be cleaned, all laundry put away, and their normal jobs done, i.e. their bathrooms, the yard mowed, garbage taken out, etc.  We have activities virtually every weekend, including Mass on Sunday, so by setting a specific time, and holding to it, then it is not a battle.  When they were younger and we were first setting this up, if the jobs were not completed to my satisfaction, then they would lose a privilege, i.e. movie, tv, video games, etc.

• sahmw2010
    March 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    Sundays are our clean days. Whtever is still on the floor goes in the garbage bag. I put the bag up and they can earn the itmes back by doing extra chores. Otherwise it goes in the yard sale pile. U give them a week to start earning items back
  • mbrowne1
    March 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Are they overwhelmed with all there is and don't know where to start? I put together a list of things that my son needs to get done for his room to be considered clean that he kept in his room. By breaking it into smaller steps, it didn't seem as overwhelming to him. I also would then be able to tell him to work on just a few steps at a time and allow him to take a break in between. 

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    March 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

This website is also really helpful and my kids LOVED it.  It's really good if you have a busy family too.

http://www.myjobchart.com/

• ruby_jewel_04
    March 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    My kids help keep their rooms clean, and with house hold chores or no TV, no Wii, and no computer time.
  • gatormommy4114
    March 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I do think they are overwhelmed, that is part of the reason I am taking all of the toys out of their room, this way, I hope they can focus on getting their clothes put away and I told them they can earn toys back by keeping their room clean, my plan is clean room for a week, they get a toy back. I am also hoping this will help them and me to see what they actually play with, so we can get rid of all the stuff they ignore.

• gatormommy4114
    March 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the other replies I have gotten so far!! keep the suggestions coming!! :)

• gatormommy4114
    March 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

we have taken all that stuff away, it is like they do not care, that's fine, too!!

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

My kids help keep their rooms clean, and with house hold chores or no TV, no Wii, and no computer time.

• XOXOnBubbles
    March 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting mbrowne1:

Are they overwhelmed with all there is and don't know where to start? I put together a list of things that my son needs to get done for his room to be considered clean that he kept in his room. By breaking it into smaller steps, it didn't seem as overwhelming to him. I also would then be able to tell him to work on just a few steps at a time and allow him to take a break in between. 

This is my kids... if I just ask them to clean their room they don't know where to start.  If I say "go put all the books on the shelf" they can do that.  Then they come say "I am done", and I tell them, "Ok.  Now go put all the dirty clothes in the hamper."  etc. 

I have a 6yr old a 4yr old and a 22 month old, and they can ALL help clean when I give them directions like this. 

Since your kids are older you may want to make a check list for them to follow when cleaning their rooms.  Include things like laundry, books, toys, make bed, and vacuum.  If it is broken up into smaller tasks it may be easier for them. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts