Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
JodyLane555
birthday parties
March 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
do you expect parents to stay at parties for 6/7 yr olds? i am so not in the mood to feed or entertain adults this time! is there ever a way to hint kids only?

Replies

• occumommy
    March 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    I usually expect the parents to stay, cause i donjt want to run around after everyone else`s kids. I don`t know if there is a polite way to say just leave your kids, sorry i am no help.
  • frndlyfn
    March 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I have stayed for dd who is in 1st grade but i usually end up helping the host parents so they can enjoy the party more and not worry about the menial tasks like picking up garbage, tying shoes etc.  All the guest parents usually take this time to get to know each other when the children are from same class at school.

• frndlyfn
    March 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You could put  "pick up is at 4pm" as a way to hint you do not need the adults to stay.

• steelcrazy
    March 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

In kindergarten and first grade it is fairly typical for parents to stay at birthday parties.  Especially if they don't know the hosting family very well.  

In all honesty, if I didn't know you well and I couldn't stay, my child wouldn't attend at that age.

• aj23
    by aj23
    March 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    I never eat or expect to be entertained at a kids party, I don't know anyone else that does either.
    Unless I knew the parents well I wouldn't be leaving my kid alone at a party at that age so kids only would mean my kid wouldn't be there.
  • progressandjoy
    March 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    SS5 is going to his first birthday party tomorrow.

DH and I were trying to figure out if we're supposed to stay or not. The invitation only lists when the party starts, not when it ends. While I feel like DH and I should stay, and SS asked if we would stay, I'd hate to impose on the host.
  • coolmommy2x
    March 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    I agree, that's a good way to drop a hint. At that age, most parents leave (at least here).

Quoting frndlyfn:

You could put  "pick up is at 4pm" as a way to hint you do not need the adults to stay.

• RMC007
    by RMC007
    March 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I expect parents to stay at that age as it would be hard for me to host the party with 20, six year olds running around. I wouldn't expect parents to stay for a sleep over or a small party, but I would expect the parents to stay as say Chuck E Cheese. I also wouldn't feel comfortable dropping DD off at some random person's from dd's class house and say "have fun" when I never even met the parent. Being said, I don't expect to be wined and dined at a kid's birthday party. I think it is perfectly acceptable to provide food and drinks for the kids and the parents serve as observers. Most of the parents at the parties I go to (at kids' venues) rarely even eat. I ordered pizzas for dd's last party and only a few parents had a slice, and that was after all the kids had a piece.

• calsmom62
    March 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....
  • calsmom62
    March 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    But do keep a sheet of paper handy so parents can leave their name and whose kid they brought, and get their cell number.

Quoting calsmom62:

Sure , say in the invitations that dropoff time is xxx, and pickup is yyy. You could say. Birthday party 1-3. This is a big kid dropoff party!!! mention things nearby parents can do..mall, Starbucks, etc....

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN