Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
is grade 2 too young(PIOG)
March 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My DS is in grade 2 I want to start doing definitions of words and such...I was talking to another parent and she said that grade 2 is too young...Thing is he is reading chapter books, and loves learning but is that too much pressure ...as of now I am not homeschooling him....but if I get approved for Disabilty (meaning I can stay home since I am a single mom) I am really thinking about it

I am thinking the simple words the habitate and all then words like metapher and everything...

Please dont bash my spelling right now...I will be spelling them on the flash cards right!

And he already knows the meaning of most words but I want the more complex words and such...Or will he be bored in grade 3 cause I am doing too much this year. (happened in grade1 and 2)

Replies

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    March 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

So, you are thinking about doing it on your own? 

If anything, I suggest making it fun and maybe using spellingcity.com

• Connorsmommy13
    March 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I did all the Dolch words by myself since his grade 1 teacher didnt belive in sight words but the other grade 1 classes were doing them. and I didnt want him behind now I want to give him a leg up. Reading comes so easily to him that I want him challanged a little

• Madisonsmommy1
    March 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    I would say no. My daughter is in kindergarten and she's doing spelling test n math test every Friday n they are teaching them what words mean. They are making these kids work harder now.
  • NoahsCoolMama
    March 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

2nd Grade is definitely not too young. My son is in 2nd Grade and he has been learning 3 vocabulary words a week. He is very good at it and loves it.

• Precious333
    March 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    I dont see why you cant.
  • mom2maryjoseph
    March 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My 2nd grader has vocabulary test every week in school.  He also knows how to look up the meaning of words in the dictionary. 

• steelcrazy
    March 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Are you sure that he isn't getting vocabulary words at school?  If he isn't, then I don't see a problem with you doing it with him.  My boys started getting vocabulary in kindergarten.

• berlgirl1224
    March 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    Why not.
  • mom22tumblebugs
    March 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Flash cards are boring. Use spelling city or something similar. Is there a problem with the way the teacher is teaching spelling? My dd's teacher also teaches definitions, as does her spelling book. She has to be able to read a definition and discern which word matches it from their list.

My 2nd grade daughter's most recent spelling list this week was...

dowse, drowsy, accountability, although, carousel, counterweights, cousins, acknowledge, pronouce, snowboarding, marshmallow, foreshadowing, sparrow, cauliflower, billowed, allowance, towel.

• Barabell
    March 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

My son's school started using Wordmasters in 3rd grade, but he was studying vocabulary since kindergarten. So I don't think it's too young.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts