Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
TarahRose
I need help...
February 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Today my 1st grader teacher came up to me and told me she would like to talk to me about Abby she told me she doesn't think she is ready for 2nd grade and that she is not getting the work. I knew she was having a hard time with math and reading and writing but I didn't know she was doing that bad until today.. I ask her what I can do to help and she told me she wants to talk about next week when I can come in before school.. Abby had IEP but only for speech. I sent her teacher a email asking why am I just finding  out that my kid may not go in to 2nd grade and if she can send home work sheets so I can work with her. I have 2 months before they get out for the summer... Thanks for reading this.

Replies

• NoahsCoolMama
    February 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I hate it when teachers tell you this late in the year that your child is struggling. Why do they wait till the second semester. If you would've found out early, then you maybe could've done something to help your daughter. Now, it is getting toward the end of the school year. Maybe the teachers think that they students will improve. Do they not send you progress reports? Our school sends us progress reports half-way through the 9 week period every 9 week period.

• frndlyfn
    February 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    There was no parent teacher conference at all this year to discuss concerns before now? If she is struggling in all the subjects then yes she will need to stay back. Perhaps look into tutoring for her after school.
  • TarahRose
    February 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We get the progress reorts too. We just had one sent home not that long ago.

• 1plustwinsmommy
    February 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    It was never mentioned in any parent teacher conference?
    If she has to be held back, the younger the better. However, I'd be doing everything in my power to catch her up. Tutoring, after school sessions, whatever. Look at it long term-wise, you want to give your dd the best chance for success.
  • TarahRose
    February 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM

We had a parent teacher conference back in oct and we have another one coming next month.. No it was never brought up before until today.. The teacher wants to meet some time next week to talk about it.  I am not giving up on her I am going to try everything to work with her. 

• sarahjoy
    February 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Normally "teachers" in my school don't make a decision about retaining a student until after middle of the year testing.  And many times not until after 3rd quarter.  Simply for the fact, well in the younger grades (my experiance : kindergarten).. sometimes work just clicks all of a sudden.  Ive had kids I thought I woud hold back and then all of a sudden in the 3rd quarter they just get it.  We also can not retain unless we have data to back it up.  And Middle of the year testing is good hard data to prove that.  When we turn in forms to retain a student we have to provide that data to our principle and get it approved and signed off.  If there is no data to support it then we dont have a case and retaining will not be approved.  Once it is approved then we contact the parent. (Usually during 3rd quarter conferences.)  We let the parent know what interventions we tried in the classroom.  We also do a "manditory summer school".  If they are border line for retaining then we give them the option to attend summer school and if they dont then they are retained.  
    I notify my parents after 2nd quarter that the child is struggling and if "xyz" doesnt happen (usually better attendance, or extra help at home/tutoring) then its possible he/she will be retained.   And I let them know we will also look at Middle of the year scores when we do those.  I give the parent focus areas to work on.  Then take another look after the testing and make a final decision.  We didn't do our middle of the year testing (have it completed with data analyzing) until at the beginning of this month.  (the state tells us when to do the tests).  So I'm just now getting that data together, changing up groups based on that data to see if that will help those students before I make my decision.  Then when 3rd quarter is finished I make my call. Who knows that changing of groups based on data might be enough to get the child where he/she needs to be in just a few weeks.  or developmentally academic material just might "click" for them. 

• steelcrazy
    February 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

So you get progress reports and report cards, yet didn't realize that your child was behind in some subjects?  How is that possible?  I'm sure that she has homework, havn't you noticed that she is having a difficult time completing it?  Those would be clues that your child is struggling in school.  IMO, you shouldn't need a teacher to tell you that your child is struggling with something.

• kmrtigger
    February 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

So if you got progress reports and report cards and saw issues then, why not contact the teacher for a meeting? If you know she is having issues in those 3 subjects, why aren't you working with her at home, and with a tutor? And if the teacher told you she wanted a meeting next week to discuss holding your daughter back, WHY email her asking what can be asked during the meeting?

Does she have homework? Did she not have trouble doing the assignments? What about test? Did you not notice by the grades that she needed some extra practice or help?

I am just confused as to HOW you didn't notice that she needed extra help.

Hopefully after the meeting next week you and the teacher will come up with ways to get her on task and caught up to grade level before the end of the year. I would look into a tutor and getting some workbooks or printing off practice sheets from an online site to help her practice at home.

• soymujer
    February 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I had something similiar happen to my middle son.  His papers would say he had good grades and his report card followed the same line.  Spring parent/teacher conference his 2nd grade teacher asked if we'd be willing to hold him back because she didn't think he was ready for 3.  I asked her how come he got good grades and she said that "well, they aren't his grades per se, but grades with help."  Ok, first off, I'm a teacher (though I wasn't teaching at the time) and I know grades are supposed to reflect what the student can do, not what they can do with "help."  I asked about summer school and she said she didn't think it would do any good since it was only for a month.  After talking it thoroughly with my hubby, we decided to hold him back under two conditions.  One was he go to summer school and two he got the other teacher.  It turned him around.  You have to decide what is best for your child.

• coolmommy2x
    February 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    DD is in 2nd grade. She has an IEP for speech. Last year her teacher noticed she was struggling with reading then math so we had her evaluated and they put her on an IEP. While she struggles, it's not a disability but they definitely believe the speech issue is what's causing the other issues.

She also gets extra help with reading, writing and math. I do worry about her because not only does she struggle but she rushes through her work so she makes a lot of careless mistakes which makes me question what she really does or doesn't know.

Last summer she had a math tutor and I'm thinking of doing it again this year and may e for reading too.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN