Featured Posts
MsLogansMommy
Another IEP question **update**
February 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

What reasons would there be for not wanting parents to have a copy of the evaluations to review before the IEP meeting?

**I just received an email stating the reports will be ready for me to pick up by the end of the day today and that they will keep the Friday meeting scheduled.

Replies

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    February 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Which evaluations?  The ones done by the teacher?

• diaperstodating
    February 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    I don't know. The teachers always send home a draft of the IEP or evaluations to me to review before IEP meetings.

At the start of the meeting they ask me if I have any questions.
  • SahmTam
    by SahmTam
    February 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I'm not sure. Is it a case where the school is saying to a parent that a child needs an IEP, but they haven't told the parent why? Or just that there are testing results and they want to address them in a meeting. It may just be that they want to address it face to face, with paper copies in hand, rather than over the phone to try to avoid confusion?

• steelcrazy
    February 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

IDK, I had private evaluations done for my son prior to getting his IEP.  I had to provide the school with copies of the results prior to being granted an IEP meeting.

• navywife2377
    February 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    In my state we have to have a copy of the iep before the meeting.
  • coolmommy2x
    February 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    I've always gotten it at the meeting and we review it together, not before.
  • SahmTam
    by SahmTam
    February 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

With my oldest the school was the first to evaluate him. Here I receive an IEP invitation, but not a whole written IEP (here that's what the meeting is for- to work together to decide what gets written into the plan, so therefore it can't be written ahead of time). However, they did wait until the meeting to go over all of his test/eval. results. He was evaluated by a center for autism later that school year (an evaluation independent of the school) and his results were forwarded to the school after they reviewed the results with me.

But then with my youngest I was called during each step of his testing process and given the results as soon as they were available and I know all of the results going into the IEP meeting.

My oldest's son's results were more complicated, though, since we were dealing with many delays, so I think that's why they wanted to review them in person.

• johnny4ever
    February 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM

We get ours at the meeting then discuss

• thebailiffs
    February 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Just a guess... They have not completed the assessment. 

Here is an example, I have two IEP's on Friday and I see one of the kids on Thursday.. I want to include the details from my lesson on Thursday in the report. I will send the mom an e-mail explaining my plan and get her feedback.  We have worked together for almost 7 yrs and we have a great relationship. 

I work with almost 30 kids and their families and I teach up to 5 days a week.  Most paperwork is done in the evening on personal time, when I am not paid to be working. 

Try not to take it personal, whatever the reason is. Some teachers have a lot of work to do or assessments, some need to collaborate on the assessments. 

Just a thought..

Good luck! 

• DyslexiaParent
    February 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Legally, you--the parents--are supposed to be EQUAL members of the IEP team.  For one of your responders,  It is actually ILLEGAL for the school to form an IEP prior to the meeting--You have not had an opportunity to give your input!! 

The main reason they are likely to give for NOT giving you a copy of the eval ahead of time is because they will tell you they have to present it to you and that is what the IEP meeting is for.. for them to explain it to you.  In TRUTH it is often because they do not view the parent as an equal member of the IEP team and they have no concern about your right to prepare for the meeting. 

You would be within your rights to send them a note and say that if you do not have a copy of the evaluation report at least three days before the IEP meeting it will need to be rescheduled because you need to be provided an equal opportunity to prepare for the IEP meeting.   You can tell them if they feel they must present the report to you in person, then they need to plan a time for the psychologist to give you the evaluation in person and reschedule the IEP meeting if needed.   

From Emotions to Advocacy by Pete Wright (a Special Ed Attorney) is a great book for getting started with understanding how the school systems manipulate parents and ignore their rights.  I've been down that road... HATED IT!!  We ended up homeschooling at the end of Elementary school... My only wish was that we started a LOT SOONER!!  It was SUCH a waste of time and so frustrating to try to get the school system to treat my child, husband, and myself in a way that acknowledged our rights at all.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts