Featured Posts
maxswolfsuit
Lincoln a Photobiogrpahy
Max
February 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin social studies)

I am still on my quest to real every Newberry Award winning novel written since I was born. I haven't been reviewing all the books because honestly some of them haven't been all that noteworthy. 

I just finished Lincoln: A Photobiography. I will say I'm a little perplexed as to why it won. It's a great historical account of Lincoln's life, but I'm not sure the book holds much appeal for most kids. I also think the average upper elementary or middle school student would need to read this as part of a unit on Lincoln or the Civil War. It's a heavy read and would be very difficult without lots of background building and support. 

That said, I really enjoyed it. It's a dry read, but I think it does a good job of painting the picture of Lincoln's life. It helped me have a clearer understanding of the Civil War. My students weren't rushing to library to check it out after me. But I read it while we were doing a unit on Harriet Tubman. It helped me give them a clearer picture of the era and they were interested to read excerpts and look at the photographs. 

So this isn't one with huge mass appeal. But if you're a history buff it's well worth checking out. 

Replies

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM

2012: Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos

2011: Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool 
    2010: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead 
    2009: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, illus. by Dave McKean 
    2008: Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz 
    2007: The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron, illus. by Matt Phelan 
    2006: Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins (Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins)
    2005: Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (Atheneum Books for Young Readers/Simon & Schuster)

2004: The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo (Candlewick Press) 
    2003: Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi
    2002: A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
    2001: A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck 
    2000: Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis 
    1999: Holes by Louis Sachar  
    1998: Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse 

1997: The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg 
    1996: The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman 
    1995: Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
    1993: Missing May by Cynthia Rylant 

1992: Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor 
    1991: Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli 
    1990: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry 
    1989: Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman 
    1988: Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman 
    1987: The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman 
    1986: Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan 

1985: The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley 
    1984: Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary 
    1983: Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt 
    1982: A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers by Nancy Willard 
    1981: Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson 
    1980: A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-1832 by Joan W. Blos
    1979: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin 
    1978: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson 
    1977: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor 

1976: The Grey King by Susan Cooper 
    1975: M. C. Higgins, the Great by Virginia Hamilton 

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I've been curious about this book.  It hasn't been on the shelf at the library when I've looked, I need to check the catalogue & reserve it.

I was wondering about everything you said.  But I do want to read it - so now I just need to remember to get online to our catalogue!

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

BTW, you've got some really good books left to read on your list. :)

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I'm in the middle of Moon Over Manifest right now. 

So I have about 12 more. My students really want me to finish this school year and it looks like I can I stay focused. 

When the 2013 winner was announced I was bummed because it made my list longer. LOL 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

Any recommendations? I need a new one for next week. I've read most of what we have at school so I need to start ordering them from the library.

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

I've been curious about this book.  It hasn't been on the shelf at the library when I've looked, I need to check the catalogue & reserve it.

I was wondering about everything you said.  But I do want to read it - so now I just need to remember to get online to our catalogue!

I didn't enjoy it as in, "This is a really fun book to read!" But I appreciated the information. I kind of feel like I have a feel for what he was like. 

How many have you read now? You were rolling right through the list.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting GwenMB:

Any recommendations? I need a new one for next week. I've read most of what we have at school so I need to start ordering them from the library.

Bud, Not Buddy and Jacob Have I Loved are two that have really stayed with me.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting GwenMB:

I didn't enjoy it as in, "This is a really fun book to read!" But I appreciated the information. I kind of feel like I have a feel for what he was like. 

How many have you read now? You were rolling right through the list.

I've slowed down.  I'd have to find my list, not sure how many I've read now.

I should get back to it, though.  There are some good books left for me to read still.

• steelcrazy
    February 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I'm going to look for this at our library.  My youngest son is very much into the Civil War, so he'd most likely find is fascinating.  He's a very odd child, who chose visiting Gettysburg over an amusement park for our family vacation.  lol

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    February 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Same here- ds2 is my little U.S. History buff.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm going to look for this at our library.  My youngest son is very much into the Civil War, so he'd most likely find is fascinating.  He's a very odd child, who chose visiting Gettysburg over an amusement park for our family vacation.  lol

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts