Featured Posts
Mommy1022526
Ask a grade school teacher!
February 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Ask me anything!

Replies

• Bookwormy
    February 24, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    My DD is in a private Montessori kinder & is reading exceedingly well, writes in print & cursive, & has moved on to multiplication since mastering addition & subtraction. I'm very worried about boredom in public 1st grade until GT testing in the Spring. Any suggestions?
  • Mommy1022526
    February 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Inform the teacher and see if there is something they can do to give her more challenging material in class.

Quoting Bookwormy:

My DD is in a private Montessori kinder & is reading exceedingly well, writes in print & cursive, & has moved on to multiplication since mastering addition & subtraction. I'm very worried about bordom in public 1st grade until GT testing in the Spring. Any suggestions?

• Bookwormy
    February 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM
    Thanks!

Quoting Mommy1022526:

Inform the teacher and see if there is something they can do to give her more challenging material in class.

Quoting Bookwormy:

My DD is in a private Montessori kinder & is reading exceedingly well, writes in print & cursive, & has moved on to multiplication since mastering addition & subtraction. I'm very worried about bordom in public 1st grade until GT testing in the Spring. Any suggestions?

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    February 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM
    My son (first grade) is not telling us/remembering all the homework he has. The teacher does not tell the parents, the students are responsible. Any ideas for Helpingi him remember?
  • Andrewsmom70
    February 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    That is not typical behavior of a 1st grade teacher at all. I would ask friends what their kids' 1st grade teachers did. 1st grade is a bit early to expect a child to be responsible for all that.

Quoting aetrom:

My son (first grade) is not telling us/remembering all the homework he has. The teacher does not tell the parents, the students are responsible. Any ideas for Helpingi him remember?

• KrissyV
    by KrissyV
    February 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Are you ready for spring break?  LOL  I sure am!

• SpurgeonMom
    February 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    my first grader is very behind in reading and the teacher said sorry the funding in the school has been cut its not severe enough to put her in a class to help. with that being said for first grade would you recommend me to hire a tutor or is there places that can help low income families? i'm a single mom of 4
  • KrissyV
    by KrissyV
    February 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Any teacher expecting 6 and 7 year olds to take full responsibility for their actions is asking for failure and a lot of missing work.  I would take your child to the store and buy one of those under $2 homework planners.  Walmart, Target, Staples- lots of places have them.  Take it to school with him and request that his teacher have him daily write down all of his assignments.  Let your son know that you will be checking it daily.  It will take 2 seconds for the teacher to do this and it will become routine for your son to practice being responsible with his homework.  Good luck!

Quoting aetrom:

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Don't go to one of the big tutoring companies. They will cost you an arm and a leg. 

Check at the school to see if there's any tutoring available. It's doubtful since the teacher would have recommended it, but it's worth a shot. 

Do you any universities nearby? You could call and ask about a college student studying education that could tutor. 

You could also ask at the school if any teachers tutor. I am tutoring a student in another class for $20 per hour. It's not cheap, but it's way less than I could charge and less than Sylvan or the big companies charge. 

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

my first grader is very behind in reading and the teacher said sorry the funding in the school has been cut its not severe enough to put her in a class to help. with that being said for first grade would you recommend me to hire a tutor or is there places that can help low income families? i'm a single mom of 4

• SpurgeonMom
    February 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    Thank you i will look into those options! i know for Sylvan is $55/hr and they do 2 hours a week so $20/hr is an awesome deal. She is showing signs of dyslexia but the teacher says they can't diagnose that until they are older. it also runs in the family

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Don't go to one of the big tutoring companies. They will cost you an arm and a leg. 

Check at the school to see if there's any tutoring available. It's doubtful since the teacher would have recommended it, but it's worth a shot. 

Do you any universities nearby? You could call and ask about a college student studying education that could tutor. 

You could also ask at the school if any teachers tutor. I am tutoring a student in another class for $20 per hour. It's not cheap, but it's way less than I could charge and less than Sylvan or the big companies charge. 

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts