Cafe MichelleP
Are You a Mom of Three or More Kids?
February 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

6 Things Not to Say to a Mom With 'Lots' of Kids

Posted by Kristen Chase

6 annoying things people say to big familiesI wish I could say I was surprised at the stupid things people say to parents, but I'm not. Since having my first child almost 9 years ago, I've learned that parenting is something that everyone, even people who don't have kids, have an opinion about.

Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

The comments I thought were bad when I had one kid are about 400 times worse now that I have four kids. But today, instead of smiling and laughing like I usually do since I usually have my kids with me when I hear this crap, I'm going to share the craziest things people have said to me and what I'd love to tell them. Or where to shove it.

1. You do know where babies come from, right? You know, it's funny you mention that because I was just asking myself the other day "Where do babies come from?" and then my vagina piped up and reminded me of the combined 30 hours of labor and all those stitches.
  2. Wow, you really have your hands full! Are you kidding? This is a spa vacation. See, I actually have about 20 more children at home but I keep them all locked in a closet and rotate out the good ones.
  3. You must have a lot of sex. Well, don't tell anyone, but I actually bought these kids on the black market. But yes, I have sex. A lot. Probably a lot more than you do, especially if you say stupid crap like that all the time. 
  4. You are my hero. Oh gosh, thank you. My vagina is blushing.
  5. I'm so glad I stopped at two kids. If you think it's okay to say something like that in public to a mom, in front of her children, I'm really glad you stopped too.
  6. You must like torture. Wait a second. This is so bizarre. Have you been looking into my bedroom?

Moms of 3 or more kids, what comments drive you crazy?

Replies

• alexsmomaubrys2
    February 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I got all of those comments and I only have 2 children but I had them back to back. (12 months apart)

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    February 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I've gotten the "You must have your hands full" comment when out w/ all 3 of mine. I just smile, and say "Yes, but it's worth it."

• Barabell
    February 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I have an only child, and I heard comments all the time about that. Not those same questions, but strangers have felt the need to give me the 3rd degree over our decision to only have one child. People really can be rude sometimes.

• natesmom1228
    February 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Nope, I only have one.
  • matofour
    February 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    We have five.
    I have heard all of those.

Doesn't bother me.
  • my4littlegirls
    February 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Nothing really bothers me until they find out I have a 16 yr old. My 16 yr old was carrying my 2 yr old and I was called grandma. Yikes!! I am not a grandma. Just because those 2 like to hang out together doesn't mean he is not mine.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The responses to the stupid comments really crack me up!

I only have 2, so I don't hear stupid comments.  I do have people asking me if we'll have more (they usually seem to think we should).

I'm the oldest of 8, though, and I know my mom got some really dumb comments.  None of which I can remember right now.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    February 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I have an only child, and I heard comments all the time about that. Not those same questions, but strangers have felt the need to give me the 3rd degree over our decision to only have one child. People really can be rude sometimes.

It doesn't seem to matter how many kids you have, people have opinions about it.  Opinions that really are none of their business.

• zinniadaisy
    February 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I am currently VERY pregnant with #4, so I'm hearing more and more comments - esp with it being 4 girls....people think they have the right to be douchy

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    February 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM

None of the above really drives me crazy.  They say "you have your hands full" especially because I have twins.  What does drive me crazy is when they ask me if I'm going to have another because i have 3 girls and no boys.