I wish I could say I was surprised at the stupid things people say to parents, but I'm not. Since having my first child almost 9 years ago, I've learned that parenting is something that everyone, even people who don't have kids, have an opinion about.
Whatever happened to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
The comments I thought were bad when I had one kid are about 400 times worse now that I have four kids. But today, instead of smiling and laughing like I usually do since I usually have my kids with me when I hear this crap, I'm going to share the craziest things people have said to me and what I'd love to tell them. Or where to shove it.
- You do know where babies come from, right? You know, it's funny you mention that because I was just asking myself the other day "Where do babies come from?" and then my vagina piped up and reminded me of the combined 30 hours of labor and all those stitches.
- Wow, you really have your hands full! Are you kidding? This is a spa vacation. See, I actually have about 20 more children at home but I keep them all locked in a closet and rotate out the good ones.
- You must have a lot of sex. Well, don't tell anyone, but I actually bought these kids on the black market. But yes, I have sex. A lot. Probably a lot more than you do, especially if you say stupid crap like that all the time.
- You are my hero. Oh gosh, thank you. My vagina is blushing.
- I'm so glad I stopped at two kids. If you think it's okay to say something like that in public to a mom, in front of her children, I'm really glad you stopped too.
- You must like torture. Wait a second. This is so bizarre. Have you been looking into my bedroom?
Moms of 3 or more kids, what comments drive you crazy?
February 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I got all of those comments and I only have 2 children but I had them back to back. (12 months apart)
by natesmom1228February 19, 2013 at 10:29 AMNope, I only have one.
by matofourFebruary 19, 2013 at 10:33 AMWe have five.
I have heard all of those.
Doesn't bother me.
The responses to the stupid comments really crack me up!
I only have 2, so I don't hear stupid comments. I do have people asking me if we'll have more (they usually seem to think we should).
I'm the oldest of 8, though, and I know my mom got some really dumb comments. None of which I can remember right now.
I have an only child, and I heard comments all the time about that. Not those same questions, but strangers have felt the need to give me the 3rd degree over our decision to only have one child. People really can be rude sometimes.
It doesn't seem to matter how many kids you have, people have opinions about it. Opinions that really are none of their business.
by zinniadaisyFebruary 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I am currently VERY pregnant with #4, so I'm hearing more and more comments - esp with it being 4 girls....people think they have the right to be douchy