Featured Posts
ScarletRose4488
Test Scores & Child Rankings
February 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

So in a couple of other threads ranking, labeling, test scores, and grades have come up.    THis is a hot-button topic for many and it seems that alot of us are on very different pages when it comes to these ratings, why we have them, and what they mean.  So I am curious.  Where does everyone stand?  

Do you know where you child ranks nationally on standardized testing? (Average)
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 57% - 97%-99%
  2. 15% - 90%-96%
  3. 3% - 85%-89%
  4. 0% - 80%-84%
  5. 15% - 70%-79%
  6. 3% - 55%-69%
  7. 0% - 40%-54%
  8. 3% - 39% or less

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    February 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    I do just because his charter homeschool was very interested in finding what level he was at so we knew what to do with him. He's 5 and working at a 2nd-4th grade level depending on subjects.
  • thebailiffs
    February 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Nope and it really doesn't matter to me.  I have a 1st grader.  

It really would be sad if this is how we judge our kids. They are all so unique and have so much to offer and to "rank" them is sad. 

And I am a teacher... now grant it, I am lucky to teach kids who have disabilites but they are all our kids and unique. I can't even imagine how this scoring system was set up. Everyone learns so differently and what they bring to the "test" is so different.  

I was once given a test and asked what the pointy thing was on top of a church. I was not able to answer that since I have Zero experience with a church. I am so sure this is how some kids react when they don't know the answer to questions they don't know. 

Just my two cents... 

• frndlyfn
    February 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM

No clue.  they do not do the standardized testing until 2nd or 3rd grade.  I do know she is at or above grade level for her reading, at grade level for math and right now below grade level for writing since she fights it.

• ScarletRose4488
    February 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I put this on here because I am frustrated with the "ranking" system.   The grading system.  Just all the pressure & compitition in general. 

I didn't even realize when I put this up last night, but looking at it this morning in the full post, it almost is disgusting.  Especially since everyone has said the highest ranking.  The only way kids can be at the top is if there are a ton of kids at the middle & bottom.  No one wants their child to be average or in the bottom.   It makes me wonder what we are doing to those kids who are there. 

Quoting thebailiffs:

It really would be sad if this is how we judge our kids. They are all so unique and have so much to offer and to "rank" them is sad. 

And I am a teacher... now grant it, I am lucky to teach kids who have disabilites but they are all our kids and unique. I can't even imagine how this scoring system was set up. Everyone learns so differently and what they bring to the "test" is so different.  

I was once given a test and asked what the pointy thing was on top of a church. I was not able to answer that since I have Zero experience with a church. I am so sure this is how some kids react when they don't know the answer to questions they don't know. 

Just my two cents... 

• coolmommy2x
    February 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    DS rocks state tests. He's in 7th grade and we get his scores each year. DD isn't old enough to take them yet (she will next year).

Although he does well on them, they don't mean much to me. Our school and district consistently scores above the state requirements (which I think is the low 90s, I'm in PA). At our first PTO meeting of the year, the principal went over the scores. We were ranked #1 in the district (15 elementary schools, 5 middles, 3 high).

But for as well as we did, the principal made it clear that the tests are just a snapshot of how well the students did in ONE week of the year. I agree with his view.
  • coolmommy2x
    February 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    This is CM where EVERY mom's kid is in the gifted program, has a higher than genius IQ and should be skipping grades.

Not mine. He's smart and does very well in school (Honor Roll and yes, 90th percentile on state scores) but he's not gifted and I am OK with that. DD struggles in school and that is OK too.

Overall, our district scores very high on state tests and has won a lot of awards but our district has a large population so while there are a lot at the top, I know there are lots in the middle and bottom but the size of the district overcomes that (IMO).

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

I put this on here because I am frustrated with the "ranking" system.   The grading system.  Just all the pressure & compitition in general. 

I didn't even realize when I put this up last night, but looking at it this morning in the full post, it almost is disgusting.  Especially since everyone has said the highest ranking.  The only way kids can be at the top is if there are a ton of kids at the middle & bottom.  No one wants their child to be average or in the bottom.   It makes me wonder what we are doing to those kids who are there. 

Quoting thebailiffs:

Just my two cents... 

• matofour
    February 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    I do. But only because the school tells us.

I don't care where they stand, as it has no bearings on my child.
    One is above, one is below.

My one that's below, is dyslexic. If someone read the test to her she would score way above. But, she reads extremely slowly, and missing words sometimes. So, it affects her greatly in an instance like a standardized test.
  • Barabell
    February 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I didn't think there was NATIONAL testing. I thought every state was different. I have seen where my son ranks in terms of STATE testing, but I have never received any paperwork about national testing.

I do know that when you compare quality of education in the different states, our state ranks among the highest.

There is such a disparity in education from state to state that me saying what my son's state percentile is wouldn't be comparable to the majority of people in this group. Comparing percentiles on state tests from different states is like comparing apples to oranges to bananas.

• Barabell
    February 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Grading varies district by district, and there is no national testing. It is state testing, and that test varies from state to state. If you don't like the system in your school district or state, then try to change it.

My son didn't receive grades while in elementary school. His district doesn't do that. His state testing ranks have been all over the place over the years. I don't remember offhand what he did last year.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

Quoting thebailiffs:

Just my two cents... 

• Raeann11
    February 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

You need the option of I have no clue.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts