Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
justliloleme
racism?????
February 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM
So. My son comes home and says. My teacher put me and 1 other white boy and 2 african american boys in front of our class and says. "If these 4 went in for a job. Would the white boys or the black boys get it"? Now the teacher is African American as well. Now what gets me is. Why does color even matter? If the African American boy has the better qualifacations. Then in my opinion he should get the job over my son. Its very clear to me. But I don't get how she thinks its ok to make it about race. I know that would have never crossed my sons mind til she put it there. Just wanted to get opinions and see if anyone else sees this as wrong. And if it were ur kids how would u handle it?

Replies

• frndlyfn
    February 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Is this in the elementary grades?  That is an odd lesson but unfortunately true in this world that race plays a big factor in gaining employment so does a persons name .

• MomofHDFandNWF
    February 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I am wondering the age of the child as well.... Also, it is black history month, so maybe the teacher was trying to tie it into that and the fact that it used to be very hard for "blacks" to get jobs before the Civil Rights Movement.  There has got to be more here....

• justliloleme
    February 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    They are elementary. 2nd grade. A bunch of 7 and 8 yr olds.
  • Mashnut3161
    February 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I would be a little upset about it.

• justliloleme
    February 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    I am upset abouy it. I have always taught my boys skin color does not matter. All ppl are equal. And here she goes teaching them different. I don't want my kids thinking they are anymore or any less cause of skin color.
  • amzbrznjz
    February 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

that is a little young, but like a pp stated it is Black History Month and maybe tying in a lesson...my ds wsa in 1st when he came home and told me that he told his teacher that if his family were living back with MLK, then mommy and sister would be able to ride inthe front of the bus but my dad and me would have to ride in the back because we are browner...it is amazing how kids relate their lives to history

Quoting justliloleme:

They are elementary. 2nd grade. A bunch of 7 and 8 yr olds.

• punky2
    by punky2
    February 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

i agress kids that young don't see anything wrong with someone being a different color unless someone teaches them that.   I understand in the real world there is still racism but why do kids that young need to know all the evill stuff out there?? there kids let them be kids and get along and play.  i would be having a meeting with someone but that is just me cause what else is going on anything something at least she would know u are aware of how she i teaching and pull it back a little.

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    February 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Was he making a point to teach about what is USED to be like?  It's February....Black History Month....so maybe he was talking about racism. 

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    February 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Quoting justliloleme:

I am upset abouy it. I have always taught my boys skin color does not matter. All ppl are equal. And here she goes teaching them different. I don't want my kids thinking they are anymore or any less cause of skin color.

But we also cannot ignore history.  If he was teaching them in the context of history, I think it is EXTREMELY important because through history, we learn to do better. 

• MichelleSw
    February 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I don't really get riled up easily, but that would have pissed me the F off. I would definitely let her know to leave her dumb ass insecurities at home and away from my child if she wanted to keep a job.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts