story0702
Healthy packed lunches?
February 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I need some fresh ideas for healthy packed lunches for my kiddos. I feel like I send the same old things all the time. I do have thermoses for each of them . Any ideas ladies? I do have a child who is allergic to all types of nuts. They are not picky eaters I am just drawing a blank on new ideas. Thanks ladies.

Replies

• steelcrazy
    February 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Go over to the search this group area over there on the right, and type in packed lunch ideas.  There will be quite a few posts that come up full of great healthy packed lunch ideas for you.

• frndlyfn
    February 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I let dd pick out what she wants since she is the one who eats it.  I typically put soup or leftovers in the hot foods container, chips of some sort, fruit and a juice box (some days she buys milk).  I put enough money on her lunch acct for that.

• momamanda
    February 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I like to make what I call homemade lunchables.. whole wheat crackers and sliced cheese, If i have lunch meat or leftover chilcken I will add that too. Then pair it with some grapes and applesauce. My kids love this as I do not buy lunchables. My youngest daughter refuses to eat anything but jelly sandwiches every day!! So her lunch typically consists of a Jam sandwhich. I buy all natural Jam with no High fructose corn syrup and low in sugar. applesauce or yogurt and whatever other thing I have. I bought the ziploc containers that have the 3 seperate slots. here's a pic of one lunch with cheese ham and crackers, Cucumbers, applesauce, and a homemade Brownie bite. I use a freezer lunch box thingy to keep things cold.

• corrinacs
    February 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Go to easylunchboxes.com.   They have a link to some healthy lunches there.  Like TONS of ideas.

The biggest thing you want to do is make sure you have the following: a grain, protein, fruit, veggie and drink.  If you want to, send a treat.  Keeping that in mind, that can open up your possibilities :).  You can even mix thigns together.

For us, I may send him with a tub of yogurt (protein) with fruit (fruit).  He can get some carrots.  And I may send a sandwhich for lunch. 

Some items I choose from (from all categories):

apple slices
    grapes
    tomatoes
    bagel with cream cheese
    fruit cups
    ham/cheese sandwhich
    spaghettios in a thermos (I get the organic Annie's kind)
    sphagetti
    yogurt with fruit or granola
    fruit and/or veggie smoothies.  They make them in the pouches
    celery
    broccoli and/or cauliflour
    pasta salad
    salad
    "lunchables"  I'd never buy the prepackaged ones, but you can make your lunch based off the idea :)
    skewers

Hope this helps.  This is just my son's.  He's got a TON of food allergies so there are defnietly more ideas out there 

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    February 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM

It would probably help if you listed for us the things you already send...

• GotSomeKids
    February 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My kids usually pack the same thing for lunch.  At least half a sandwich, although they usually take a whole one.  A full yogurt or Gogurt, snack (which is usually gold fish or a low cal granola bar/brownies of some sort) and it is mandatory they take a piece of fruit of veggie.  They are only allowed to take water (our family rule, not the schools).  Maybe twice a year, I might buy a special drink for them, but not often.

• steffielou_who
    February 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    My kids love soup! My lo likes subs! I make him tuna subs, send triscuits!
  • la_bella_vita
    February 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

DD likes yogurt, soup/homemade pizza/salad/crackers & cheese, sandwhich with a fruit and veggie