Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
story0702
Healthy packed lunches?
February 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I need some fresh ideas for healthy packed lunches for my kiddos. I feel like I send the same old things all the time. I do have thermoses for each of them . Any ideas ladies? I do have a child who is allergic to all types of nuts. They are not picky eaters I am just drawing a blank on new ideas. Thanks ladies.

Replies

• steelcrazy
    February 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Go over to the search this group area over there on the right, and type in packed lunch ideas.  There will be quite a few posts that come up full of great healthy packed lunch ideas for you.

• frndlyfn
    February 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I let dd pick out what she wants since she is the one who eats it.  I typically put soup or leftovers in the hot foods container, chips of some sort, fruit and a juice box (some days she buys milk).  I put enough money on her lunch acct for that.

• momamanda
    February 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I like to make what I call homemade lunchables.. whole wheat crackers and sliced cheese, If i have lunch meat or leftover chilcken I will add that too. Then pair it with some grapes and applesauce. My kids love this as I do not buy lunchables. My youngest daughter refuses to eat anything but jelly sandwiches every day!! So her lunch typically consists of a Jam sandwhich. I buy all natural Jam with no High fructose corn syrup and low in sugar. applesauce or yogurt and whatever other thing I have. I bought the ziploc containers that have the 3 seperate slots. here's a pic of one lunch with cheese ham and crackers, Cucumbers, applesauce, and a homemade Brownie bite. I use a freezer lunch box thingy to keep things cold.

• corrinacs
    February 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Go to easylunchboxes.com.   They have a link to some healthy lunches there.  Like TONS of ideas.

The biggest thing you want to do is make sure you have the following: a grain, protein, fruit, veggie and drink.  If you want to, send a treat.  Keeping that in mind, that can open up your possibilities :).  You can even mix thigns together.

For us, I may send him with a tub of yogurt (protein) with fruit (fruit).  He can get some carrots.  And I may send a sandwhich for lunch. 

Some items I choose from (from all categories):

apple slices
    grapes
    tomatoes
    bagel with cream cheese
    fruit cups
    ham/cheese sandwhich
    spaghettios in a thermos (I get the organic Annie's kind)
    sphagetti
    yogurt with fruit or granola
    fruit and/or veggie smoothies.  They make them in the pouches
    celery
    broccoli and/or cauliflour
    pasta salad
    salad
    "lunchables"  I'd never buy the prepackaged ones, but you can make your lunch based off the idea :)
    skewers

Hope this helps.  This is just my son's.  He's got a TON of food allergies so there are defnietly more ideas out there 

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    February 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM

It would probably help if you listed for us the things you already send...

• GotSomeKids
    February 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My kids usually pack the same thing for lunch.  At least half a sandwich, although they usually take a whole one.  A full yogurt or Gogurt, snack (which is usually gold fish or a low cal granola bar/brownies of some sort) and it is mandatory they take a piece of fruit of veggie.  They are only allowed to take water (our family rule, not the schools).  Maybe twice a year, I might buy a special drink for them, but not often.

• steffielou_who
    February 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    My kids love soup! My lo likes subs! I make him tuna subs, send triscuits!
  • la_bella_vita
    February 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

DD likes yogurt, soup/homemade pizza/salad/crackers & cheese, sandwhich with a fruit and veggie

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN