Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
RaizingBoyz
Has fever. Won't take meds.
February 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My DS started ccomplaining of a sore throat last night and had a very low temp of 99. This morning his fever was 99.5 - I know its either strep or the flu. Dr appointment is already scheduled, although its not till this evening. The thing is he will not take any meds to reduce the fever. It has always been difficult to get him to take meds. So my question is, is it ok to just let him continue to run a fever? I should mention he is 8...

Replies

• steelcrazy
    February 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Honestly, 99.5 isn't what I would even consider a fever in an elementary aged child.  He'll be perfectly fine without taking any meds.  You need to remember that a fever is actually a good thing, it is the body doing its job and fighting the virus that your child has.  No need for alarm until the fever gets to 104.

• mom22tumblebugs
    February 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

yes, let him continue with running a fever. 99.5 isn't high at all for a fever.

• RaizingBoyz
    February 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I dont really consider 99.5 a fever either, but last week I was at the dr and my temp was 99.3 and he said you have a fever. I was shocked that he said that. But thank you ladies...he usually gets a small rise in temp when he has strep, hoping thats all it is. Since he wont take meds, I will just get him the antibiotic shot.

• cafay
    by cafay
    February 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

He's fine not giving him anything, but if and when he does have to take medicine add it to juice if it's liquid form or if it's pill form just crush the medicine and add that to his drinks. Don't tell him. That's what I do, my son has a terrible time with that stuff! Good luck! Hope he's feeling better soon.

• jen113000
    February 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I agree with the others. 99.5 is not a fever to me. And I don't medicate a fever under 103-104, unless it's bed time. So they can be comfortable to sleep.

• natesmom1228
    February 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I didn't give my son anything until he was up to 101.1.

• natesmom1228
    February 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Quoting jen113000:

I agree with the others. 99.5 is not a fever to me. And I don't medicate a fever under 103-104, unless it's bed time. So they can be comfortable to sleep.

That is why I gave my son meds when he was 101.1 because it was bedtime.

• frndlyfn
    February 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Have him drink cool fluids (not ice cold), eat a popsicle, etc.   I would not medicate that low fever at all.  Yes it is a rise in body temperature but a very mild one.

• SewingMamaLele
    February 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

We don't treat fevers.   Fevers are treating the illness... why would you want to reduce it unless it was actually needed (as in, too high). 

• calimom1123
    February 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    My 8yo dd's pediatrician said not to give meds unless temp is over 101.5. Dd's fever last night was 102.7 so I gave her meds so she could sleep. Anything under 100, I dont worry about.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN