Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
maxswolfsuit
It's not just about make up work!
Max
February 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

A reply in another post reminded me that I've been meaning to post something about missing school. 

It hurts kids' grades.

There's no getting around it. I'm not saying one missed day a marking period has a huge impact, but when students miss more than a couple of days it is bound to hurt their grades for the marking period. 

I often have parents wondering why a child's grades have dropped. When I point out that several, or many, days were missed they are often confused how this relates to grades. The answer I often hear is... 

"But he did all the makeup work."

Make up work doesn't cover a day's worth of learning. I have my students for over 5 hours a day. I might send home 2-3 pages of missed work per day. That doesn't replace the 5 hours of learning that took place in the classroom while the child was out. 

Written work in school serves two purposes:

1. to practice a skill introduced in a lesson

2. to asses mastery of a skill that's been taught.

Written work doesn't actually teach the student anything new. 

So when your child does all the make up work that's great. But it doesn't replace the lesson and activities done in class that prepared the students for the written work. 

I wonder how many parents really think about this. 

Replies

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    February 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I agree with you. Most parents don't think of it or don't care...

• janitablue
    February 6, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Honestly I never though of it like that. I though when a child receive make up work for a miss day it is equivalent from attend day in school.  Thanks Max for creating this post it made me see things different from a teacher point of view and also makes sense.

• Cindy18
    by Cindy18
    February 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

It amazes me when I see how many days some kids miss and the parents that don't think 12 days a year is a lot. Sick or not... There's always an excuse. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 6, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Quoting janitablue:

Honestly I never though of it like that. I though when a child receive make up work for a miss day it is equivalent from attend day in school.  Thanks Max for creating this post it made me see things different from a teacher point of view and also makes sense.

You really have no idea how much that means. So glad I could help you see a different perspective. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

It amazes me when I see how many days some kids miss and the parents that don't think 12 days a year is a lot. Sick or not... There's always an excuse. 

It's funny how parents don't see how much school "a few" missed days is. 

12 days is like missing over 2 weeks. That's a lot to keep up with. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Quoting MJP76:

Some don't care that's true. 

But so many just don't realize. 

• Cindy18
    by Cindy18
    February 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Like the mom in the germophobe post where her kids have missed 20 some days. If it was a job, you would be fired for missing that many days.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Cindy18:

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    February 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MJP76:

To me that just falls under the category of common sense.. And as Dr Phil says "common sense isn't very common" LOL

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

That is the post that reminded me. 

In one of the replies someone mentioned that if the kids were making up the work it shouldn't be an issue. But it's still totally an issue. 

Quoting Cindy18:

Like the mom in the germophobe post where her kids have missed 20 some days. If it was a job, you would be fired for missing that many days.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Cindy18:

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Quoting MJP76:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting MJP76:

To me that just falls under the category of common sense.. And as Dr Phil says "common sense isn't very common" LOL

I hate to agree with Dr. Phil, but I do on this one. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts