Verrine
No Close Friends?
by Verrine
February 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

My son is in 3rd grade. At that age, I remember having a best friend and going over to other kids' houses. He doesn't get invited anywhere. 

He also doesn't feel lonely. He thinks he has a lot of friends. The kids don't ignore him at recess. In the summer, he plays with some of the neighborhood boys.

Am I worried over nothing?  

Replies

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    February 3, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I don't think kids these days play at each other's houses the way we did. It seems like parents are as willing to let kids do it. 

Why not have him invite someone over?

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    February 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I agree with Max.  Because most families are REALLY busy, there just isn't as much playing at each other's houses anymore.  I will say my boys have a bunch of friends that they hang out at the park with if they don't have practice, but even then it's not every day and they go to different schools.  I think it's just a sign of our times.

• needanswers2012
    February 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    It's ok. my mom never let me or my sisters go to anyone's house and my sisters were very popular. They had and still have plenty of friends. I'm just not a social butterfly but even still people remember me from school that I never even tasked to.
  • jen113000
    February 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    I agree. Times are different. If he's happy I would be happy.
  • Due9
    by Due9
    February 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM

If he's happy then I wouldn't worry.

• Mistygirl
    February 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yes, kids are all so different, sounds like he is happy with the way things are. 

• Nicole1357
    February 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I would say it is normal :) My son is in the 2nd grade..sounds a lot like him. 

• kjbugsmom1517
    February 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    I never thought about it being the times. My daughter also is the same way and i was alittle worried too. It didnt occur to me that it could be the times and how busy everyone is.
  • Barabell
    February 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

At 3rd grade, I think your child is old enough to learn how to start reaching out to kids outside of school. With my son, I encouraged him to exchange phone numbers with classmates and start calling them to arrange get togethers outside of school. It's an important skill to have, and I don't think my parents taught it to me. 

• MJP76
    by MJP76
    February 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

When we were kids all we had was to play outside and other's homes..

i wouldn't worry unless he starts to get reclusive. My DS (10) has 3 boys in this neighborhood that he likes to play with... It is very similar to how when I was a kid, because I don't allow my kids to just sit around the house. My DD is 15, she doesn't really "hang out" with anyone except her BF which doesn't live in this neighborhood..but she has all kinds of friends at school, and all chatty on the phone and text...