Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Truluv4ever
Karate class for an almost 7 yr. old girl................................
February 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

What do you ladies think?? My daughter has asked me if she could take karate this year and I am not sure if I should get her enrolled?? She is pretty shy, she has separation anxiety, she is lactose intolerant but she is very tall for her age & she is pretty strong too. Have any of you had your girls this age in karate, how did it work out?? I would Love any stories or advice you ladies might have!   Thanks~

Replies

• angelyuna20
    February 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I'm all for it. I wanted to when I was that age but my parents never did and I regret their decision. I've been looking to sign my DS up and if DD is interested when she's old enough I'd sign her up. Karate teaches more than just self defense, it also teaches discipline and self confidence. it might be just the right thing for her.

• jen113000
    February 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I don't have a daughter but my almost 7 year old son has been doing karate since he was 5 1/2. He loves it! There are plenty of girls there as well! My advice would be to check out places and have her watch a class or two. Also don't sign a long term contract just incase she doesn't like it.

• mom22tumblebugs
    February 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It is a great thing to do. Sign her up!!

• Hannahluvsdogs
    February 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    I think it's a good idea. My son started judo when he was 8. He was shy and would get picked on at school but judo did wonders for his self-esteem.
  • mom22tumblebugs
    February 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Also, most martial arts places will allow a free class. Ask about it.

also look that the place you go to doesn't advance them after a certain number of classes.. they need to learn the skill well and test in advance. And be careful about them trying to lock you into a year long contract, paid in advance. If your daughter stops liking it after a few months, you still have the rest of the yr or lose what you paid.

• corrinacs
    February 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Go for it :).  My son is 5 and is thriving in it :).  He loves it. Just graduated to yellow belt and is about to graduate again in a month or so :).  He takes Tae Kwon Do.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    Definitely! My DD started around 7yo and did it for about 1 1/2 years and enjoyed it. She learned some useful skills and gained a lot of self~confidence. She decided to try gymnastics and they were impressed with her balance and flexability for a beginner. It came from karate.

This...
    Beware of long~term contracts....
    Have her do a few trial lessons. Our dojo gives 3 free lessons.
    Be sure belts aren't just given. No "show up 12 times, and get a stripe" @@
    Make sure the instructors are fair and respectfulof the kids and teach the mentality of "karate is so you DON'T have to fight"

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Also, most martial arts places will allow a free class. Ask about it.

also look that the place you go to doesn't advance them after a certain number of classes.. they need to learn the skill well and test in advance. And be careful about them trying to lock you into a year long contract, paid in advance. If your daughter stops liking it after a few months, you still have the rest of the yr or lose what you paid.

• emelymac
    February 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My oldest does karate. I believe she was 10 when she started. However, there are kids there that are 5 years old and tiny. I think it's worth a shot. It could help her anxiety and shyness. I don't really see how the lactose intolerance would even be an issue. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    February 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    PS... my oldest DS and I still train and DD comes to open workouts sometimes to keep it up (I keep hoping she will rejoin) It is great to workout with the kids and brings us together.
  • nurbabe82
    February 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

DS has been doing TaeKwonDo since he has been 4 and loves it.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts