Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
mandarose
My 4th grader is struggling in math
January 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I need help. My daughter isstruggling with her multiplication . Now she's failing with division. It's a very long story but I am working on getting her tested with a behavioral therapist but need something else done in the meantime. does anyone have any good websites, techniques or study skills I can teach her? she sits at the table and works hard it seems but something else needs to happen.

Replies

• mommytoeandb
    January 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    I'm sorry. :(
    I volunteered in DD's 3rd grade class last year and some of the kids could not get multiplication. I would break it down into addition. Try some apps. Use blocks or coins for hands on practice. GL!
  • steelcrazy
    January 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

If she is a hands on learner, this will help.  You will need an egg carton and some clay or play doh.  Make little balls out of the clay.  Then use the egg carton to help explain multiplication and/or division.  Say you have 6x3, you would put 6 clay balls in 3 of the egg spots in the carton to represent 6x3, then have her count how many clay balls that you have all together.  It helps them visualize that 6x3 is 3 sets of 6 items or 6+6+6.

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    January 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Legos are great tools IMO. Get mixed blocks and work with her. Very visual...
  • mandarose
    January 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Thanks ladies. does anyone know of any great websites she can use to play games to help teach her?
  • workingmama86
    January 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

firstinmath.com

I don't know if you have to have a username and password, but my son's school recommends it, and my son has thrived ever since playing on that site! He's in 2nd grade doing 4th grade math now. 

• mandarose
    January 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I don't have a username or password :(

Quoting workingmama86:

firstinmath.com

I don't know if you have to have a username and password, but my son's school recommends it, and my son has thrived ever since playing on that site! He's in 2nd grade doing 4th grade math now. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

How is she struggling? Does she understand the concept but just doesn't have the facts memorised? or does she need to go backand "understand" it?

We did something similar to what Steel mentioned but with MnMs so her reward forthe day was getting to eat them at the end of the lesson.

For facts practice:

Mathblaster.com - it's free

MathUsee.com  has free drill activities

We als oplay "math war" with a deck of cards.  1-10 are their face value. Queens = 0, Jacks = 11, Kings = 12 (I used a fine tip sharpie to write the number for J, Q, K on our first deck, now they can do it with any) You lay the cards down at the same time just like regular war but the first person to multiply the two numbers, and get it right, wins the cards. So if I toss a 3 and you toss a Q that is 3x0 and first to call it gets them.

• sheellyyo
    January 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM

My 9 yr old is a 3rd grader and really struggled with math.  We have her do a multiplication table everyday after school.  it has seemed to help her.  She is "Getting" it now.  It clicked.  Like with ready.  She was a bit of a late bloomer in reading and finally one day it clicked with her just like that.  Overnite.  Are they just learning their multiplications in 4th grade?  It is 3rd grade here in Ok. 

• mandarose
    February 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It's 3rd grade here too. She learned them enough to get past her tests and then forgot them. I need her to memorize them. 

Quoting sheellyyo:

My 9 yr old is a 3rd grader and really struggled with math.  We have her do a multiplication table everyday after school.  it has seemed to help her.  She is "Getting" it now.  It clicked.  Like with ready.  She was a bit of a late bloomer in reading and finally one day it clicked with her just like that.  Overnite.  Are they just learning their multiplications in 4th grade?  It is 3rd grade here in Ok. 

• corrinacs
    February 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Have you thought about getting her a tutor?  I think that will help her the most.  

Or, if you can't afford that.....MANIPULATIVES are the best thing since sliced bread.  What type of multiplcation is she doing?  If its simple like 2x3, then manipulatives will work wonders for her :).

And of course, there's Khan Academy.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/multiplication-division/multi_digit_multiplication/v/multiplying-whole-numbers-and-applications-2

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts