Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
I call them what they are...making him to sexual aware?
January 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

How is that sexually aware?  It is just proper names of body parts.  Those parts have other jobs than just sexual intimacy.

• A_McCool
    January 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think there is a difference in anatomical awareness and sexual awareness.

• surromama
    January 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    I agree

Quoting frndlyfn:

How is that sexually aware?  It is just proper names of body parts.  Those parts have other jobs than just sexual intimacy.

• Connorsmommy13
    January 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I agree I dont know how its sexual aware...he does know that you need a man and a woman to make babies. Not how...he hasnt fully asked that yet..just why since I am a girl why dont I just make another baby...(he asked that when he was about 4)

Apparently "Pee pee and doo doo" are better ways to explain it...

• kmrtigger
    January 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

No bashing from me. My boys have known the proper names since they were small. It's the right thing to teach a child. I want my child to be able to put a child molester in prison if god forbid something happen. I have seen court cases dropped because the child didn't know the proper name of the body part. And calling it something silly could mean a toy not a penis. And I want to make sure my child is educated about their body parts and how they are used. They know what sex is, and how babies are created and born. There is nothing wrong with educating your child.

• corrinacs
    January 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

No :/.  I mean, you are doing your part to ensure that what happened to you doesn't happen to him.  Like you said, he's going to walk in on you in the bathroom.  Most children have asked these questions by teh age of 3-4 anyway....and a few years isn't long enough to forget for tehm.

I think you are doing it rihgt.  I have done the same thing with my son, mainly because he insists on being in teh bathroom with me if I am showering and we are alone.  He hates being in rooms all by himself.

He knows (and has watched/seen) me nurse his brother.  He asked about it, so I showed him an accidentally squirted milk in his face LOL.  We laugh about it, but I'm glad he's rather comfortable about it.

I grew up in a home where the opposite sex's body parts were such a mystery.  And I was to be very well guarded with my own (I agree with that part).  It did make me a little leary of sex, even with my husband.  I still have to make jokes about it because I can't be totally comfortable about it.

But, hoping to change things wiht my sons.  He knows the parts and now we are working on honesty and ensuring that communication lines are open.  I made him aware that there are bad people out there (sometimes disquised as good guys).  I told him about innappropriate touching (from him and to him).  And i told him to speak up if something doesn't feel right :).

Hopefully that's leading him down the right road.  We will get more into the actual "sex" part when he's closer to puberty.

He's in K now.

• luvmybug
    January 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    I don't think using the actual names of body parts is a bad thing at all. My dd knows the correct names.
  • wakymom
    by wakymom
    January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Whoever told you that is the one(s) w/ the issue, not you.

I admit, we use the terms "squirter" and "girl parts" in our house, but my kids do know the correct names are "penis" and "vagina".  They know about good touch/bad touch. I even had to explain the extreme basics about periods to dd when she was 4 (that's what happens when a 4 y/o follows you into the bathrm during af and asks why your pee is red!).

• Jamie1972
    January 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I taught my kids the proper names for their body parts. Especially when my oldest asked why his baby sister didnt look like him or his little brother. Kids need to know these types of things. I see nothing wrong and in no way is by teaching our kids names is sexualizing them in any way shape or form.

• January1964
    January 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

No, you're good. And better off than someone who told their daughter to refer to her vagina as a peach. I read that on here!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts