Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Verrine
PBIS -- Positive Behavior Incentive System
by Verrine
January 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Does your school use it? All the schools in our district do. It's a bit different at each school. It works very well. The idea is immediate recognition of good or bad behavior.

The children start on Green and if they do something good, they go up to Purple. If they do something bad, they go to Yellow or Red. They can recover. They really want to go to Purple! If they are Green or Purple at the end of every day for the quarter, they get to pick a special activity. 

They also get coupons for doing the right thing. They can spend the coupons once a week on erasers or stickers, etc. Class behavior during a Special gets them up to 4 marbles. The first class to fill its jar gets a pizza party. Good class behavior in the cafeteria (always a challenge) also gets them pizza.

One of the things I really like is that perfect attendance and no tardies for the week means they participate in the Friday morning dance party, which adds a physical fitness aspect. The kids really enjoy this. It is cute to see the 1st graders trying to do the Macarena. 

Replies

• Idntreallycare
    January 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

no, our school doesn't do that. My son's teacher is doing a behavior chart that she sends home with a red, yellow, or green light (green is good, red is bad) and then she has a sticker chart for him in class. When he earns 25 stickers, he gets to pick a prize. I'm not sure if it's for the whole class, or just for my sonbecause he can be difficult.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    January 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

No, they don't.  The teachers just addresses behavior issues as they arise & praises good behavior.

The principal was "complaining" last fall that it had been at least 1.5 years since anyone was sent to him because of a discipline issue.

• mommaFruFru
    January 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    They do the color system... But I'm not aware of the rest....
  • LucyHarper
    January 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Otherwise known as bribery. No, our school doesn't use it. We believe in teaching kids to do the right thing because its the right thing to do, not so they can get things. Otherwise, they will just misbehave as soon as no ones watching and as soon as that reward is out of the question, forget about them behaving. If they are bad, they are disciplined and told why they shouldn't behave that way, if they are good, they are praised and they are told why what they did was correct. Sometimes they have random treats if the kids have been really good lately, but it isn't something thats expected.

• Verrine
    by Verrine
    January 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    Quoting LucyHarper:
    Otherwise known as bribery. 

Yes, it can be seen as bribery. But, how many people would go to work if they weren't paid? Some adults also get bonuses and commissions. The idea is to immediately recognize desireable behavior. The kids all know the different systems. All I can say is it works better than yelling. With a group of 20+ kids, it's too easy to fall into the trap of only noticing the bad behavior, in which case that's what they do for recognition. I substitute teach and it's amazing how giving a few reward coupons will get the rest of the class to sit up and start doing the right thing! 

• iknitsweatersyo
    January 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Yes our school uses it. They just had their PBIS party last friday. My son loves it and is so excited when he gets to go to the parties. He hasnt missed one yet :)
  • LucyHarper
    January 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Quoting Verrine:

Quoting LucyHarper:
    Otherwise known as bribery. 

Yes, it can be seen as bribery. But, how many people would go to work if they weren't paid? Some adults also get bonuses and commissions. The idea is to immediately recognize desireable behavior. The kids all know the different systems. All I can say is it works better than yelling. With a group of 20+ kids, it's too easy to fall into the trap of only noticing the bad behavior, in which case that's what they do for recognition. I substitute teach and it's amazing how giving a few reward coupons will get the rest of the class to sit up and start doing the right thing! 

Exactly, because they're getting something. If they weren't, than they most likely wouldn't behave. Doing the right thing and being polite is not the same thing as going to work. They are paid for their work at school through good grades, which in time will get them a good job. Behaving in school and getting good grades are different things. We adults don't get paid to act polite and behave ourselves. You don't need to give my child a coupon to get him to act polite in class, he knows to do that because he knows its the right thing to do, he knows people will think positively about him if he behaves and if he doesn't think will think negatively about him, thats what the school taught him and they didn't need to throw gifts at him for behaving to do it.

• kmrtigger
    January 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM

They do something similar for the kids in preschool and kindergarten. And only because most of the children are learning how to behave in that environment for the first time. But after that good behavior is expected of them. And from first grade on it is up to each teacher to use what ever they feel is useful in their classroom to help kids stay on task.

• coolmommy2x
    January 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    Our school does this in K and DS's 1st grade teacher did it. DD's teacher did it a little differently.

Through 6th grade, they do have an on the spot reward system in place. Winners get to have breakfast or lunch with the principal.
  • Lorena
    by Lorena
    January 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    Our school has this. They have punch cards that are similar to the color code you were talking about. They can also earn tokens to buy things from the "store" by demonstrating good behavior. They get a certificate and a free lunch if they are caught doing a good deed at school.They also have a weekly all school lesson and hw that goes with it.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts