Verrine
Would you let your child wear Shorts in the Winter?
by Verrine
January 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

It is below freezing here and there are still some boys who are wearing shorts to school. I really wonder about their mothers.

Replies

• miss_AP
    by miss_AP
    January 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    We don't fight about clithes....if they want to wear a tank top and freeze...why not. They will learn to dress warmly. I get final veto if I don't approve of ths outfit but since I buy the clothes that's never a problem. We have kids wear shorts all year round even when it is 20 below. Unless they are going to be outside long enough to cause damage I wouldn't bother to say anything. Its a battle I choose not to engage in.
  • steelcrazy
    January 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting steelcrazy:

No, I would not and it is against our school's dresscode.  It is very rare that we have a day above 40* this time of the year, and most days are in the 20's for highs.  So shorts would be absolutely insane.

It's against the dress code? Is that just during the winter or year-round?

Just during the winter.  I forget how it is worded exactly in the dress code, but when the high temp is below a certain level kids in elementary aren't permitted to wear shorts to school.

IMO it is a shame that school administrators have to add common sense items to the dress code.  Common sense goes a long way and it is sad how many people are lacking in that department.

• CrazedMomof2
    January 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

No. I would let them change when they get home if it was that important though.

• annelauer
    January 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    I would allow it as long as there wasn't a chance of frostbite or the likes. We choose our battles with our children. That is the type of "mistake" they are likely not to repeat. I would remind our daughter once of the temperature and ask of she wants something warmer. She could then choose to change or suffer real world consequences. As an adult she will need to make choices like that. It's a choice that she is perfectly capable of making now. She will be much better prepared because nobody micromanaged her childhood. She will be comfortable knowing she can rely on herself to make good decisions.
  • jen113000
    January 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    My boys don't wear shorts this time of year. Way too cold!
  • 1234abcd4321
    January 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

no, if would reflect poorly on me and they would be miserable.

• Barabell
    January 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting TJFBGMommy:

Yes I would. If they came downstairs in shorts, I'd tell them the temperature out. If they still wanted to wear shorts that's on them. I'm not the one that will be freezing my butt off.  I don't think they've ever asked to though. 

Yup, that's the same thing we do with our son. Usually if we question it, he does change. The weather changes quickly here, and so he doesn't always how cold the day is going to be.

• STVUstudent
    January 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Thankfully, we have uniforms, so it is not an option.  In defense of the moms who let their kid wear what they want, even if it is questionable, I will say that you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere, so make it an important issue, not what they wear.  My kids will sometimes refuse to wear a jacket.  No jacket, if the teacher decides it is too cold, they don't get to go outside for recess. 

• HyperMom38
    January 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

It's -30 up here today.  With the wind chill it feels like -50.  Exposed skin freezes in minutes in these temps.  So NO, I would not.

• Velany
    by Velany
    January 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

the neighbor kid is always in shorts it was 4 degrees the other morning and there he is sitting in shorts and no coat on sitting waiting for the bus.