Connorsmommy13
"Mental health days"
January 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    January 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM
    We do but we homeschool :) fun trips count for school for us though. Mental health days we don't do anything!
  • diaperstodating
    January 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM
    I don't.

My boys never go to school on their birthday. If they have a doctor or dentist appointment I may decide to not to take them back to school and they miss the whole day.
    My boys don't have mental health days.
  • diaperstodating
    January 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM
    You are not the only one.
  • Connorsmommy13
    January 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM

He loves to learn...just not in a school setting so some days he is overwhelmed. I would love to homeschool and if I get approved for things I am applying for I will def. Look more into it...He loves museums and zoos and the such...glad I am not the only one though...

• frndlyfn
    January 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM

She hasnt needed one yet this year.  Somehow the inservice days coincide about the time she needs a break.  Heck this week she has 2 days off from school (monday and friday) . In a couple of weeks there will be a whole week of early releases.   Mental health days I will probably save for middle school and high school.

• annelauer
    January 24, 2013 at 2:55 AM

No, but once I took her in late because she wanted to watch her little sister's (2 yo) first dance class.  She isn't usually interested in her sister, so I allowed it.  My husband was not thrilled though...

• TroyboysMom
    January 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Nope, you're not the only one. I do it a couple of times a year - and I *am* a teacher. There are times, in our family, where mental health days are needed.

• calsmom62
    January 24, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    We do the MH days here and there, too.
  • rockinmomto2
    January 24, 2013 at 5:48 AM

My kids aren't quite old enough yet, but when they are, absolutely. My mom did them for me when I was in school, and I really appreciated it. She would tell me that everyone needs a true day off every now and then.

• chinosruca
    January 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    No. We do fun stuff on weekends & holidays. Not on school days. Luckily, my child enjoys school, so we rarely have sick days and have no need for a "mental health day".