Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
"Mental health days"
January 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

Replies

• coolmommy2x
    January 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    We don't do them. They've never asked (and if they did, I would say no).
  • the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    January 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I give all 3 of my boys (ages 13, 9, 6) 2 mental health days per year - 1 per semester.  They're not allowed to use them to extend a vacation/break - that's about the only rule.

EVERYONE - even kids - get burned out from time to time.  I've always been given personal days in my job - so why wouldn't I give them a personal day or two from school?

• ChelseySpelsey
    January 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    Yes, and my son is a straight A student and loves school but he has a very heavy academic workload on top of sports & other activities, so sometimes I keep him home so he can relax.
  • gizmo538
    January 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I wouldn't do it just to do it ... there would have to be a reason behind it. Too much stress at school, a teacher she was having problems with or another classmate giving her problems. I'd let her have a day to calm down then I would be in the office with the principal trying to get something resolved. That's if I even allow my kids to go to public school. DH and I are going to try to homeschool for as long as I can.

• angelmj
    by angelmj
    January 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    My mom would let me have a skip day once in a while, or she would pick me up early. I don't see a problem with it.
  • iamcafemom83
    January 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    My mom did when we were in school. They are some of the most fun times with my mom....I really remember them well! It certainly wasn't often. Once or twice a school year.

I will do the same for my kids.
  • HaileysMom07180
    January 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

no i don't do that, but i will leave her home at least part of the day if she has a rough night, she is 6 and she has struggled with insomnia since she was 2.  

• ms-superwoman
    January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I used to do it with my mom! We would skip school and go shopping or get out nails done! lol

• SoKamele
    January 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM

No....because I'm not sacrificing my mental health days.

AND that's what summer is for.

• inmybizz
    January 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We don't. Basically the only time she stays home is if she is sick. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN