Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
"Mental health days"
January 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

Replies

• coolmommy2x
    January 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    We don't do them. They've never asked (and if they did, I would say no).
  • the3Rs
    by the3Rs
    January 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I give all 3 of my boys (ages 13, 9, 6) 2 mental health days per year - 1 per semester.  They're not allowed to use them to extend a vacation/break - that's about the only rule.

EVERYONE - even kids - get burned out from time to time.  I've always been given personal days in my job - so why wouldn't I give them a personal day or two from school?

• ChelseySpelsey
    January 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    Yes, and my son is a straight A student and loves school but he has a very heavy academic workload on top of sports & other activities, so sometimes I keep him home so he can relax.
  • gizmo538
    January 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I wouldn't do it just to do it ... there would have to be a reason behind it. Too much stress at school, a teacher she was having problems with or another classmate giving her problems. I'd let her have a day to calm down then I would be in the office with the principal trying to get something resolved. That's if I even allow my kids to go to public school. DH and I are going to try to homeschool for as long as I can.

• angelmj
    by angelmj
    January 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    My mom would let me have a skip day once in a while, or she would pick me up early. I don't see a problem with it.
  • iamcafemom83
    January 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    My mom did when we were in school. They are some of the most fun times with my mom....I really remember them well! It certainly wasn't often. Once or twice a school year.

I will do the same for my kids.
  • HaileysMom07180
    January 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

no i don't do that, but i will leave her home at least part of the day if she has a rough night, she is 6 and she has struggled with insomnia since she was 2.  

• ms-superwoman
    January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I used to do it with my mom! We would skip school and go shopping or get out nails done! lol

• SoKamele
    January 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM

No....because I'm not sacrificing my mental health days.

AND that's what summer is for.

• inmybizz
    January 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We don't. Basically the only time she stays home is if she is sick. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts