Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
"Mental health days"
January 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

Replies

• kameka
    by kameka
    January 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    My dd10 can get really overwhelmed sometimes and I have let her go in late for that. I have never just taken her out of school, though she has 2 little sisters so maybe when they're in school I would.
  • whooperz
    January 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    No he stays home plenty due to getting sick all of his days are always needed
  • ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    January 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

No...I don't and don't encourage it in elementary school kids-but that's me and my opinion.

• andreasmom02
    January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My mom gave my sister & I days like that when we were kids in school.. especially my sister. She hated school, and was picked on for being kind of shy & quiet. Ironically, she works for the school system now as a teacher's aide... lol My 4 year old is in daycare, and my 10 year old is in 5th grade. My 4 year old cried to stay home with me today, which made me feel like the worst mom ever, but I have a doctor's appt. today, and needed her to go. She goes to a great daycare though, and is usually happy there. She only goes Mon-Thurs., so she gets a 3 day weekend with me. Our 10 year old has always loved school & is a straight A student (which I feel eternally greatful to God for & feel very blessed that my child loves school & gets straight A's). She only misses if she's sick...

• butterflycircle
    January 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I know there are 24 hours in a day and how many days a year they are in school, I even know how many days are in a year. 

My daughter gets up at 7am gets dressed, gets her back pack ready, eats breakfast, leaves for school at 8am. She gets out of school a little after 3pm. By the time she is home it is about 3:30 and then she has a snack and plays for a few mins. Between 4-5 she does home work (school assigned). Around 5-5:30 we eat dinner. She has from 6-7 to play. At 7pm we do showers and get ready for bed and then we do 15mins of reading (give or take) and go over her spelling words (if we haven't yet). She goes to bed at 8- 8:30pm. 

You can agree with my husband but that doesn't mean he is right, it is a matter of opinion. One "mental health day" isn't going to hurt anything (as long as she hasn't missed much and her grades are up, like I said). 

Quoting mjande4:

I'm going to have to break down the math for you.  First of all, there are 24 hours in a day, so that leaves 17 remaining to "have a break".  Second, they are only in school for 180-185 days out of 365.  They only go to school HALF of the time.  Your husband is correct!

Quoting butterflycircle:

I don't see anything wrong with it. They are just kids and they spend soooo much time in school as it is 7hours a day 5 days a week is a lot. As long as my childs grades are up and they haven't missed much school, wny not let them have one once in a while?

My husband doesn't agree with me though. He thinks school is like the most important thing ever and you have to go unless you are very sick. 

I don't want to teach my child to slack off or anything, but sometimes you just need a "me" day. 

• Jynnifer292
    January 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I wish we could afford to. My six year old has already missed 11 days this year. There have been so many illnesses going around this year. Typically, if he hadn't missed so much time, I would let him have a day to have some fun.

• finnbar
    by finnbar
    January 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    If the school invironment is so stressful, abusive, and just plain toxic why force him to go at all?
  • GraceStrickland
    January 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    I do with all of mine, and they have above average grades. It's also a great way to bond!
  • steelcage
    January 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I've never even heard of this, nor would I ever do it.

• BlessedBeX3
    January 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I thought thats what the weekends were for...

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts