Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Connorsmommy13
"Mental health days"
January 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

Replies

• LCG83
    by LCG83
    January 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    I have done it. I try to do it very sparingly, but sometimes he NEEDS it. He had one earlier this year. I could just tell he was completely stressed out and I knew to send him would be TORTURE. I could just hear it in his voice that he needed a break.
  • butterflycircle
    January 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. They are just kids and they spend soooo much time in school as it is 7hours a day 5 days a week is a lot. As long as my childs grades are up and they haven't missed much school, wny not let them have one once in a while?

My husband doesn't agree with me though. He thinks school is like the most important thing ever and you have to go unless you are very sick. 

I don't want to teach my child to slack off or anything, but sometimes you just need a "me" day. 

• virgochild79
    January 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM

That's what the weekends are for in our family.

• hollieh79
    January 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    Yes. My daughter is only in Kindergarten. Super smart and social. They are more for me than her. I miss her. Life is short.
  • joshlor2
    January 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    No, only because my kids have either missed the max allowed or more every year. Be it illness, or family emergencies, or in this case surgeries and recovery. So I don't do mental health days, but I am not opposed to it.
  • Lorena
    by Lorena
    January 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Wr don't do that. Sometimes if they have an appointment we just wont go in that day. But my kids enjoy school and love being one of the few with perfect attendance.
  • raegan1221
    January 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This.

Quoting chinosruca:

No. We do fun stuff on weekends & holidays. Not on school days. Luckily, my child enjoys school, so we rarely have sick days and have no need for a "mental health day".

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    January 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I'm going to have to break down the math for you.  First of all, there are 24 hours in a day, so that leaves 17 remaining to "have a break".  Second, they are only in school for 180-185 days out of 365.  They only go to school HALF of the time.  Your husband is correct!

Quoting butterflycircle:

I don't see anything wrong with it. They are just kids and they spend soooo much time in school as it is 7hours a day 5 days a week is a lot. As long as my childs grades are up and they haven't missed much school, wny not let them have one once in a while?

My husband doesn't agree with me though. He thinks school is like the most important thing ever and you have to go unless you are very sick. 

I don't want to teach my child to slack off or anything, but sometimes you just need a "me" day. 

• Ashanya
    by Ashanya
    January 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

nope...unless it's a doctor's appointment or him being sick my son will not be out of school...as an educator i believe weekends are fun days 2 days a week not so bad to have fun!

• mom2threebbz
    January 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I used to all the time with my three kids. My oldest is in middle school this year and it is difficult for her to make up work if she misses a day so in fairness to her we don't have them anymore...I miss them..

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN