Connorsmommy13
"Mental health days"
January 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Am I the only one that will give my DS (grade 2) a mental health day? I mean he hasnt had any this year but I will likely to give him at least one this year. I am not talking sick days, or Pro d days..I mean just days were they get to "skip" and do something fun...be it a museum, aquarium or just a movie day on the couch in his pjs.

Last year he had a "yelly" teacher (one that yelled a lot) so he had quite a few last year. Not any this day that he wasnt sick pulled him early the day we had to put our cat down...Other then that nope

But I plan to just not sure when...so am I the only one?

Replies

• LCG83
    by LCG83
    January 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    I have done it. I try to do it very sparingly, but sometimes he NEEDS it. He had one earlier this year. I could just tell he was completely stressed out and I knew to send him would be TORTURE. I could just hear it in his voice that he needed a break.
  • butterflycircle
    January 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. They are just kids and they spend soooo much time in school as it is 7hours a day 5 days a week is a lot. As long as my childs grades are up and they haven't missed much school, wny not let them have one once in a while?

My husband doesn't agree with me though. He thinks school is like the most important thing ever and you have to go unless you are very sick. 

I don't want to teach my child to slack off or anything, but sometimes you just need a "me" day. 

• virgochild79
    January 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM

That's what the weekends are for in our family.

• hollieh79
    January 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    Yes. My daughter is only in Kindergarten. Super smart and social. They are more for me than her. I miss her. Life is short.
  • joshlor2
    January 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    No, only because my kids have either missed the max allowed or more every year. Be it illness, or family emergencies, or in this case surgeries and recovery. So I don't do mental health days, but I am not opposed to it.
  • Lorena
    by Lorena
    January 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Wr don't do that. Sometimes if they have an appointment we just wont go in that day. But my kids enjoy school and love being one of the few with perfect attendance.
  • raegan1221
    January 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This.

Quoting chinosruca:

No. We do fun stuff on weekends & holidays. Not on school days. Luckily, my child enjoys school, so we rarely have sick days and have no need for a "mental health day".

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    January 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I'm going to have to break down the math for you.  First of all, there are 24 hours in a day, so that leaves 17 remaining to "have a break".  Second, they are only in school for 180-185 days out of 365.  They only go to school HALF of the time.  Your husband is correct!

Quoting butterflycircle:

I don't see anything wrong with it. They are just kids and they spend soooo much time in school as it is 7hours a day 5 days a week is a lot. As long as my childs grades are up and they haven't missed much school, wny not let them have one once in a while?

My husband doesn't agree with me though. He thinks school is like the most important thing ever and you have to go unless you are very sick. 

I don't want to teach my child to slack off or anything, but sometimes you just need a "me" day. 

• Ashanya
    by Ashanya
    January 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

nope...unless it's a doctor's appointment or him being sick my son will not be out of school...as an educator i believe weekends are fun days 2 days a week not so bad to have fun!

• mom2threebbz
    January 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I used to all the time with my three kids. My oldest is in middle school this year and it is difficult for her to make up work if she misses a day so in fairness to her we don't have them anymore...I miss them..