Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
ambercates
Kindergarten reading level
January 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I was wondering what reading level your K child is at mid year. My son is at level 2-3, and his teacher says he is on target with everyone else!

Replies

• JeremysMom
    January 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

It sounds like they use the DRA reading levels. Here is a chart that shows you what levels they *should* be at for each grade. 

• ambercates
    January 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    Thanks!

Quoting JeremysMom:

It sounds like they use the DRA reading levels. Here is a chart that shows you what levels they *should* be at for each grade. 

• momtoBrenna
    January 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Dd is in 1st grade and her school uses the guided reading scale on the chart and her leisure books range from a level M-U. Ds we are not sure about because he doesn't like to show what he knows, he's only 4.5 now though. 

• ddhb2007
    January 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    My daughter was just tested, and the teacher sent home a level 4 book. She read it to me with only a few pauses while she tried to figure out the harder word on each page.
  • othermom
    January 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM

My daughter was reading low 1st grade level books, but she went through 2 1/2 years of preschool. My son I don't remember for sure, but I know since then he has been above level for reading

• Christy78
    January 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Quoting JeremysMom:

MY 10 and 7 yr old kids is last Elem School use this    but they called it AR reading

• KairisMama
    January 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    My DDS school uses scholastic levels. I use lexile and Fountas and Pinnel.
  • DrDoofenshmirtz
    January 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM

In mid kindergarten DD was at a level 12, but she is a very strong reader.  At our school, they want kids at 4-6 when they leave kindergarten and 16-18 when they leave 1st grade.  She is already at level 24-28 in 1st grade.

• ambercates
    January 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    Wow! That is awesome! DS is more of math guy!

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

In mid kindergarten DD was at a level 12, but she is a very strong reader.  At our school, they want kids at 4-6 when they leave kindergarten and 16-18 when they leave 1st grade.  She is already at level 24-28 in 1st grade.

• DrDoofenshmirtz
    January 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Thanks!  She loves to read and loves school in general.  And you may be surprised.  DD had several friends who jumped a ton in reading at the end of K.  Sometimes it just clicks.  Also, at our school, they just read a lot more in 1st grade than in Kindy.  Our kindy was still center based and had 2 recess times (which I loved!). 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN