Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
jessr1204
fundraisers-ideas, not a debate
January 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I am looking for ideas for fundraisers for my sons' school. We have done the traditional catalogs of "junk" and did OK, but everyone is tired of buying stuff. What does your child's school do? I am looking for creative ideas that will bring in a decent chunk of money, we are raising money for new playground equipment. I would like this post to be about ideas, not a debate about fundraising. Thanks for the help and ideas!

Replies

• Christine0813
    January 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Bake sale? Sorry, that is all I can think of.

• mommaFruFru
    January 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    Our pro does a read-a-thon AMD walk-a-rhon.. each prong in over 12k a year. Plus 2 carnivals. If u pm me I can go mire into detail.
  • Lorena
    by Lorena
    January 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    I like the bake sale idea or maybe a thrift sale?
  • goddess99
    January 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

You could send home a note explaining what you need the money for and instead of selling, you'd like donations.

We also did "butcher fundraisers" where all we sold was meat from a local butcher. Very Popular!

• CassSpade
    January 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Our school does a dine out night once a month. Call around and see what restaurants will do it, they'll give a portion of their night's proceeds to the school. It's cool bc the kids get a chance to see eachother out of school. And while we're there, the parent group does raffles to raise even more money. 

• RLT2
    by RLT2
    January 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

dance a thon?

• snowangel1979
    January 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    Walk-a-thon. DS old school did it during school hours. If you raised $10 or $20 they got a shirt to wear.

I'm going to name some other stuff my sons school did. It's not a lot of money but if It's cheaper, parents are likely to donate and the little money things add up quickly.

On Valentine's day they did happy-grams. It was 50cents or $1. They got a bracelet one year a pencil another year.

Mail weeks were the "stamps" were like 10 cents.

Sented (sp?) Pencil sales.

Movie days with popcorn for sale.

• Barabell
    January 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

For such a large project, I would see if anyone on the PTO/PTA has experience in grant writing.

• Idntreallycare
    January 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Walk a thon
  • steelcrazy
    January 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I've never seen a debate on fundraising, but what ever.  *shrugs*

We sell bulbs www.dutchbulbs.com in both the fall and spring.  We also have a monthly pretzel sale from the Philly Pretzel Factory and make 75% profit.  We take preorders from the students 3 mornings during the month and then deliver the hot pretzels to their classrooms on a Friday afternoon.  For Valentine's Day, we got a local chocolatier to donate chocolate hearts to us and we are selling Candy Grams for $1, obviousy this is pure profit.

I agree with the grant writing suggestion.  I'm not sure if you have begun to price out playground equipment or not, but it is typically $30,000+.  Our district was supposed to put in a new playground along with a building remodel last summer.  Due to the economy it was put on hold indefinately.  Our PTA looked into redoing the playground and decided against it since it would most likely take us 20-25 years to raise that kind of money.

Another suggestion would be to write letters to local businesses asking them for a donation.  If you are raising the money through an actual PTA, the donation would be tax deductable since PTA is a non-profit charity and registered as such with the IRS.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN