Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
vinalex0581
"You are being irrational."
January 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My grandmother, my moms mom, (we all call her Nana) is 70 years old. I think she has been driving since she was 24 (I think). She has never been in one single accident and maybe just a couple of parking tickets but that's it.

My mom went for a drive with Nana, i think a couple of months ago, just to make sure that Nana is still safe with her driving. My mom told me that if she didn't feel safe riding in the car with Nana that she wouldn't let anyone else do it.

I have my oldest son, 7 years old, his name is Alex. I love him, he's my first child so maybe I am a little over protective of him, IDK.

My mom wants Nana to pick my son up this afternoon and I told my mom that I don't feel comfortable allowing Nana to drive with Alex in the car.

I explained to her how she's an older women and her reaction time isn't as quick as it use to be. I told her that I don't feel comfortable with that.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational. I told my mom that I would be more than happy to drop Alex off at her house (I live 6 minutes away from my mom) and she told me that it is a waste of gas and that I don't have to do any unnecessary driving because Nana can come pick Alex up.

I repeated myself and said I don't feel comfortable letting Nana driving while Alex is in the car.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Am I really being irrational?

Should I just allow my grandmother to take Alex to my mom's house?

Replies

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    January 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

My question would be the following.  Have YOU ridden in the car with your grandmother in the last month or are you making this judgement solely on her age?

• mommaFruFru
    January 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    I think your being silly. My 68yo grandfather us the nest driver I know! They probally pay better attention because their age and maturity. It's a 6min car ride!
  • Refurbished
    January 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My grandmas are in their 80s and their reaction time isn't limited enough that I wouldn't let my kids drive with them.  They both are slower than the average person, but they also drive slower and take their time at the stop signs to look. 

Does your grandma seem forgetful or distracted? 

• StephanieSH
    January 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It really depends on the person.  My parents are 68 and 64 and they drive my kids all the time.  They just took both of them to Disneyland without me.  My kids are 7 and 10.  Both my parents also still work full time. You should drive with her and see how she drives.  Honestly, and my sister would be really mad at me if she knew I was saying this, I have more concern about my 40 year old sister driving my kids than my parents.  My sister drives like a maniac.  She totaled so many cars when we were younger that my Dad always said his next car would be a tow truck and when she got married my Dad joked to my brother-in-law "good luck with the car insurance" because my sister was considered a "high risk" driver.  Now, my aunt is 70 and also very very active but she has blacked out a couple of times while driving for no known reason.  I'm not sure why she still has a license.  She lives 5 minutes from me but I would never let her drive my kids even in a bind because of that issue.

• Barabell
    January 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

My MOM is in her early 70s, and I have no issue with her driving at all. Everyone ages differently. Unless you have concerns about HER specific driving, I don't think going by age is enough.

• steelcrazy
    January 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Wow!  I'm really no help here because my parents and ILs are both in their 70's and I completely trust them driving my kids anywhere.  I wouldn't ever consider them to be "too old to drive".  Sorry.

• MamaLori
    January 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

My parents are almost 70 and they drive my kids around all the time. I think if you are making this decision based only on her age then yes, you are being irrational.

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    January 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If she was older I would agree, but 70 really isn't that old. 

My mom is 69 and drives the boys all the time. She's a very safe driver. Unless you've seen something unsafe I think it's unfair to judge her driving just based on her age. 

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    January 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'd say that you should ride w/ your Nana before making that decision.

My parents are 72 and 77, I've ridden w/ them recently, and am comfortable w/ them driving my kids (ages 13, 9, and 7) around.

• supermomz25
    January 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I agree with the idea of you personally riding with her and then making a judgement call.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts