Featured Posts
kcgroves
Homework!
January 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Honestly my son is in 3rd grade I am pretty sure when it takes my husband and I an hour or more to figure out one math problem something is wrong!! Am I the only person who has trouble helping their kids with homework?

Replies

• mommy06and09
    January 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    ds is only in 1st and so far no trouble but we still have many years to go. once he starts learning about history im screwed!
  • mommy06and09
    January 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    by the way what was the math problem you were stuck on? im generally good at math. lets see if im ready to help a 3rd grader.
  • frndlyfn
    January 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

What kind of math is he doing?  Luckily dd is in 1st grade so they are working on time telling, coins, addition and subtraction.

• Mommy_Jenx3
    January 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

We have had to go to the teacher to have her explain some things to us with some things my 10 year old has brought home. I have saved certain ones for future reference since I have a 6 year old who will be going through it soon. Lol. They sure changed some of the ways we learned things as kids. I hated math growing up, so I dread when he had a question on some of it๐Ÿ˜œ

• PensFan99
    January 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    Ds is learning algebra in 4th and it is lost on me. I felt really dumb the other night and asked another mom if it was really hard, or was i just really that bad at math? She said it was hard and dh had to help her ds with it.
  • steelcrazy
    January 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I have a 3rd grader and a 6th grader.  I've never had a problem helping them with homework and can't imagine spending an hour on one math problem.  Third grade math isn't anything crazy, at least not around here.

• TurboMom81
    January 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM

The math isn't too hard yet. But the way they teach now is really whack!

• kmrtigger
    January 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Usually if we are having an issue with the math homework, we pull out the book and re-read the chapter they are on. Usually that helps. If not we look up on the computer how to do the problem(a similar one) and go from there.

IF we are still stuck, we skip it and continue on with the next one. Or we attach a note explaining that we were having issues with the homework. Usually the teacher will take a few moments to help them with it before class or just go over it with the entire class.

• kcgroves
    January 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Quoting mommy06and09:

by the way what was the math problem you were stuck on? im generally good at math. lets see if im ready to help a 3rd grader.

Ok, one of the problems I can't remember so that sucks the other one though I took a pic of it so I could send it to my sister who home schools for help. Here it is...what multiplication fact can you figure by using the array of 2x9 and 5x9?

• TroyboysMom
    January 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I teach third grade math, so I don't really have trouble explaining things to DS (who is also in third grade.).

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts