Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
ourluvalwayz
need some advice please!
January 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I have a 7yr old ds(almost 8) that is having an issue with eating in front of the kids at school, he has been like this since the middle of pre-k and i dont know what to do to help him eat at school. if the teacher lets him eat behind the cubby then he is fine but other than that he will starve himself till he gets home and try to eat everything in sight!

when we go out to eat he doesnt have any issue eating at all! I am trying to get him to understand that as he gets higher in grades that other teachers may feel he is too old to be getting special provisions just to eat lunch, I guess I just want to know if any of you other moms have experienced this and how did you handle it? do you think I am enabling him by asking his teacher to let him eat behind the cubby?

sorry so long!

Replies

• frndlyfn
    January 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM

That seems odd to me.  Does he say why he doesnt like to eat in front of his peers?  DD is 6 and she just talks too much to eat her lunch at school.  Her teacher has helped keep an eye on her for me and make sure she at least eats her hot food first when she takes some.  If there is a valid reason for his anxiety or fear then they can make provisions through high school.

• mom22tumblebugs
    January 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I don't blame him. Have you ever sat in on lunch at school? Blech!! The kids sit so close together, and then they talk with their mouth full, and spit food accidently while talking. But does that chewed up food land on their own food? No, it lands on the kid next to them or across the table. My kids hate eating lunch at school.

• ourluvalwayz
    January 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

when we have talks about it all he says is he doesnt want to eat in front of them because he thinks they are staring at him, he thinks all eyes are on him i guess. he will throw the food away and cry because he is hungry if he can't eat behind the cubby. his father and I have even tried going to sit with him in the lunchroom but he still wouldnt eat smh but like I said he will eat with no problem at all when we eat out...

• steelcrazy
    January 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I would have him talk to the school counselor, this sounds like a form of anxiety.

• MrsFavors
    January 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM

my daughter prefers not to eat breakfast at school because they're all mixed up with unknown people. She hates to be looked at while eating by anyone. She is 14 and has always been that way. But you might teach him to only look at his plate while he eats so that he doesn't notice others, because you are right the special treatment will only last for so long.

• ourluvalwayz
    January 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

I don't blame him. Have you ever sat in on lunch at school? Blech!! The kids sit so close together, and then they talk with their mouth full, and spit food accidently while talking. But does that chewed up food land on their own food? No, it lands on the kid next to them or across the table. My kids hate eating lunch at school.

I totally understand that! I don't want to force him to eat but I am concerned with him crying at school because he is hungry, and I dont know if every teacher he has will let him eat alone as he gets older

• ourluvalwayz
    January 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would have him talk to the school counselor, this sounds like a form of anxiety.

I could definitely do that! thank you :)

• saltlifemama
    January 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I agree! =)

Quoting steelcrazy:

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    January 12, 2013 at 3:26 AM
    Another thing i would do is give him a big breakfast. Many times when we do My kids get hungry around 2-3?
  • mom2jessnky
    January 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I agree... I have anxiety issues, and I HATE being stared at, so I get where he's coming from, but he also needs to eat. Poor kiddo. :-/

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN