MsLogansMommy
teachers complaints about parents
January 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM

my intention for this question is because I absolutely love my dd teacher and want to make sure im not doing anything unknowingly irritating to her kwim but here is the question:

Other than the obvious stuff like parents who think their kid can do no wrong (this would not be me cause I know who my kid is lol) and the parents that are completely uninvolved in their childs education, what are things that parents do that are irritating to teachers?

Replies

• steelcrazy
    January 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I don't know.  I'm sure that it varies by teacher as everyone is bothered by different things.

• SweetPea2004
    January 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Buy them coffee mugs...

tell them how to do their job

• STVUstudent
    January 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Not making sure the child gets plenty of sleep at night.

Not trying to get child to eat breakfast (nothing worse than a hungry kid at 10:00 and lunch isn't until 11:30).

Not making sure homework is done properly.

• pcsainco
    January 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Not reading our emails and not following enclosed or attached instructions.
  • Karen_S
    by Karen_S
    January 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Dressing the kids in inappropriate clothes (flip flops on gym days, under/overdressing for the weather, wearing fancy clothes on art days, etc.)

Letting your kids bring in toys from home *if they cause a problem* on the playground. I've seen a lot of kids showing off toys to make other kids jealous, or playing power games with excluding or including some kids (I've even heard "pay me a dollar and I'll let you play with my Barbie").  Sometimes toys from home work great, and sometimes they cause problems. And when they cause problems the parents are usually clueless. 

Being tardy (if you are taking your child to school).

Sending kids that are sick to school (more than just the sniffles...fever, vomiting, etc). 

Not telling them what is going on. If something is going on with your kid that might impact him or her in school, like a divorce or a death in the family, or parent military deployment, or some other stressor, most teachers would like to know about it because it will change the kids behavior. 

(LOL on the coffee mugs SweetPea!)

• momma1708
    January 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Teachers really don't like coffee mugs?! Man, my mom did that for our teachers every year... she inculded other stuff like gift cards and some sort of sweet treats or something...... man...... now I know what not to get my DS's teacher when he starts Kindergarten next year...... Kind of bummed about this. 

• soymujer
    January 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM

As a teacher, telling us what we're doing wrong...if you can do so much better, then why aren't you?!

• SlightlyPerfect
    January 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yes! And then asking how they can "help" the kid pull up the grade.

Oh, and this:

Quoting pcsainco:

Not reading our emails and not following enclosed or attached instructions.

• kmrtigger
    January 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Not making the child do the daily homework assignments. I know that would bother me, if I were a teacher.

• kmrtigger
    January 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Quoting soymujer:

As a teacher, telling us what we're doing wrong...if you can do so much better, then why aren't you?!

Since my son has ADHD, and I know what makes him click, you wouldn't want suggestions on how to deal with him when he is having a outburst? I would think that would be helpful in the classroom to keep his attention to the education you are providing.