Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
tiffs2009
OT- wwyd?
January 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
One of my friends is a single mom and going to college. She recently found out she was pregnant again and her bf broke up wih her and wants nothing to do wih the baby. Her mom has been watching her 2.5 yr old while she goes to class but her mom got a new bf and does not want to babysit anymore.

I posted on her Facebook that I don't mind babysitting her son, I'm home anyway. She called and said she can't pay me cause she has no $. I told her I was not wanting her to and I don't mind it. She said she would think about it. If she can't get a sitter she will have to drop out.

I honestly don't mind watching him. When I went to school I found someone who was broke too and we did a babysitting exchange. You watch mine ill watch yours, kwim?

What do you ladies think? Would you watch a friends kid for free?

It's prob 10hrs a week total for 3 classes.

Replies

• soymujer
    January 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Isn't that what friends are for?  To help each other out?  I would.

• tiffs2009
    January 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    That's what I thought. She acted like it was too much

Quoting soymujer:

Isn't that what friends are for?  To help each other out?  I would.

• mommaFruFru
    January 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    Of coursea! If it makes her feel like a moocher make a trade. Cleaning house or watching your kiddos
  • tiffs2009
    January 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    She texted and said we can get together and talk.
  • steelcrazy
    January 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Maybe, maybe not.  Watching someone's child on a very regular basis is more like a job than swapping favors among friends.  You are going to be responsbile for her child while she is in class, which means that you are going to have to work your schedule around her schedule.  This is more like a job than just a favor.

• tiffs2009
    January 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    It's just this term so maybe 9 more weeks. Only 2 days a week. Really not that long

Quoting steelcrazy:

Maybe, maybe not.  Watching someone's child on a very regular basis is more like a job than swapping favors among friends.  You are going to be responsbile for her child while she is in class, which means that you are going to have to work your schedule around her schedule.  This is more like a job than just a favor.

• steelcrazy
    January 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Still kinda like a job.  At the very least, I'd sit down with her and talk about what she expects and what you expect.  Is she sending food for her child to eat or are you providing food for him.  How about diapers and wipes?  Are you permitted to take him places in your car?  What time will she drop him off and what time will she pick him up?  If there is an emergency and her child needs to see a doctor, will you have documentation to get him medical treatment?  What happens if you are sick?  What about if her child is sick?

These are all things that you need to talk about prior to agreeing to watch someone else's child on a regular basis, whether you are getting paid or not.

Quoting tiffs2009:

It's just this term so maybe 9 more weeks. Only 2 days a week. Really not that long

Quoting steelcrazy:

• saltlifemama
    January 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I would give my time for sure. I however would expect her to provide food and other supplies. I know what its like to lose a sitter and have no other good affordable options. Having been there done that makes my heart break for her.

• tiffs2009
    January 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    Oh I know! I've gone on home day care. I was thinking about doing it again but I would rather help her out.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Still kinda like a job.  At the very least, I'd sit down with her and talk about what she expects and what you expect.  Is she sending food for her child to eat or are you providing food for him.  How about diapers and wipes?  Are you permitted to take him places in your car?  What time will she drop him off and what time will she pick him up?  If there is an emergency and her child needs to see a doctor, will you have documentation to get him medical treatment?  What happens if you are sick?  What about if her child is sick?

These are all things that you need to talk about prior to agreeing to watch someone else's child on a regular basis, whether you are getting paid or not.

Quoting tiffs2009:

Quoting steelcrazy:

• tiffs2009
    January 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    Diapers and wipes of course she would bring.. But even if she didnt I cloth diaper so its not HUGE deal. He eats like a bird so again if she brings food its helpful, if not fine. It would only be 2 mornings a week so cereal and milk are no big deal.

I've known her son since he was born

Quoting saltlifemama:

I would give my time for sure. I however would expect her to provide food and other supplies. I know what its like to lose a sitter and have no other good affordable options. Having been there done that makes my heart break for her.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts