Mocking.Jay
My son will be starting grade 1 in September
January 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

And I wanted to know what basics I need to teach him over the summer to have him prepared enough to expect the same curriculum.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I am in Canada, and I tried googling this and so far, the answers were not as in depth as I would like them to be such as "your 6 year old should be fully potty trained" and "Should be able to tie their shoes with laces". That doesn't tell me anything academically lmao. 

I'm embarassed to ask this because I want to teach early years stream, but I've been doing what I can. i bought those BrainQuest books from Indigo that have like hundreds of pages of stuff, so I'm hoping all that is relevant: writing, tracing, knowing colors, shapes, count to at least 20, etc. 

Are there any other things my DS should be prepared for? What about emotionally? This will be a big transition in terms of jumping from daycare programming to actual school work. What are some things I can do with DS over now until september to help him gain confidence for this transition? I keep talking to him about how grade 1 is going to be very different than daycare (more work, less play) and he is NOT too happy about that, but I want to be truthful with him as much as possible so it sticks in his head, you know what I mean?

I started searching out a few possible schools I want to enroll him in. They're all out of our catchment but I want him to be in a school that has very reputable programs and a whole variety such as music, science, gym, art, etc. I just want him to be enriched, and my mom is an education administrator for our reserve and she says I need to research schools and talk to the principals to see what programs their schools have to offer my DS since grades 1-3 are the most crucial grades for learning the academic basics. The school in my municipality has a very bad reputation of being CFS (Child and Family Services) happy. My auntie was a social worker for the school in my catchment, and she said parents were targeted by race if a child forgot ski pants, or had muddy/dirty shoes, not even to the extent to cause much concern, so I do NOT want to send my son to the school. Plus, it's French immersion and french is mandatory, and I have NO knowledge with the French language.

Any help/advice is appreciated! 

Replies

• Paige03
    by Paige03
    January 9, 2013 at 4:20 AM

I'm Canadian too. From Ontario. My daughter is in second grade. She attends a public school in our area but we also home school after regular school hours. We do this because of a developmental delay not because we are snobs lol. As far as what you need to do to get him ready school wise is play with him and teach him yourself. In grade 1 he wont be doing a whole lot of book work. (There will be lots but it's mostly hands on). He should know basic shapes and colours for sure. Try colouring with him and have him name each colour as he picks it up to use it. I also use to have my dd name something of the same colour (Green = Grass Blue=Sky) to help her relate the colour to everyday life. Same thing with shapes.
    Counting is usually easier when they have something to count. Such a carrot sticks or smarties which ever you use will help. They need the physical thing to see when counting. Mental math comes later.
    With reading just start with having him know all his ABC's once he gets that down pat start teaching the sounds for each letter. (This can take some time as those X's and Y's can be pretty tricky!) He only needs the basics and you don't have to sit at a table and do it. When your out shopping quiz him and play along. Ask him to count out 5 potatoes. Have him check again counting out loud. Then ask him to sound out the  word and figure out what it starts with.
    Teach is easy when you break it down in a fun way. It doesn't always have to be pencils and workbooks, at least not until later.

Grade 1 is fun. They still play and colour. They have reading time and snack time. Try to focus on the fun things he will be doing and the new experiences he will have. Take him to social groups or parks and let him meet and play with new children. Don't hover but rather let him make friends and try to sort out small problems.

Hope this helps. It is 4am here so I'm a bit sleepy lol Free free to message or add me if you would like!

• mom2jessnky
    January 9, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Do they not have Kindergarten in Canada? (Honestly asking I have no idea).

Before a child starts school here it's generally good if they can write their name correctly- meaning only the first letter capitalized, not all of them (Danny, not DANNY), knowing colors, shapes, and letters of the alphabet is good too. If he can read simple words that's a HUGE plus, but kids will start school at all different levels so I wouldn't stress too much about that. 

Don't make a big deal about it, I'd stop with the whole "it's going to be a lot of work" stuff, First grade is super fun. Most of the work IS playful. You don't want him going in thinking it's going to suck, I would take his lead, if he asks about something, answer him, but you don't need to prepare him, his daycare has been doing that and the school will help with the transition too.

As far as picking a school, definitely go in and tour the school & meet the staff, if it feels right it probably is, if it feels wrong, no matter how good they look on paper, run for the hills.

Good luck!! :)

• SwtSnowflake2
    January 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    That's what I thought too. No kindergarten in Canada?

DD is in Pre-k and 4. I only put her in for socialization and bc it's half day. Kindergarten is full day here now.

In kindergarten they are 5 and 6, and first they are 6 and 7. Depending on birthdays.

What Mom2jessnky said and knows letters and if he knows the sounds the letters make would be good. Knows numbers 1-10 but 1-20 would be better. Should be able to rote count them and randomly point them out.

Also should know address, full name, phone number, birthday, how old they are.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Before a child starts school here it's generally good if they can write their name correctly- meaning only the first letter capitalized, not all of them (Danny, not DANNY), knowing colors, shapes, and letters of the alphabet is good too. If he can read simple words that's a HUGE plus, but kids will start school at all different levels so I wouldn't stress too much about that. 

Don't make a big deal about it, I'd stop with the whole "it's going to be a lot of work" stuff, First grade is super fun. Most of the work IS playful. You don't want him going in thinking it's going to suck, I would take his lead, if he asks about something, answer him, but you don't need to prepare him, his daycare has been doing that and the school will help with the transition too.

As far as picking a school, definitely go in and tour the school & meet the staff, if it feels right it probably is, if it feels wrong, no matter how good they look on paper, run for the hills.

• Mocking.Jay
    January 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    Yes and it's all day but my daycare does a kindergarten based program! It's my campus daycare so they're government funded and they mostly focus on empathy. There are studies shown that daycares that integrate kindergarten into their programs have a better success rate in transitioning! It's not common but it's really neat. He's been in daycare since he was two and he will be 6 in July. So he will be going from his third year in daycare right to grade 1!

I hope this explains my question a little better! Hahaha.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

• Mocking.Jay
    January 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Yes kindergarten is available BUT it is NOT mandatory in the province of Manitoba. I think some programs are mandatory in other provinces but in manitoba, kindergarten and preschool (nursery) is not mandatory.

My daycare suggests keeping children in daycare longer to develop better emotional well being.

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

That's what I thought too. No kindergarten in Canada?

DD is in Pre-k and 4. I only put her in for socialization and bc it's half day. Kindergarten is full day here now.

In kindergarten they are 5 and 6, and first they are 6 and 7. Depending on birthdays.

What Mom2jessnky said and knows letters and if he knows the sounds the letters make would be good. Knows numbers 1-10 but 1-20 would be better. Should be able to rote count them and randomly point them out.

Also should know address, full name, phone number, birthday, how old they are.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

• Mocking.Jay
    January 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Thank you!!! This helps So much. I don't remember replying but I just wanted to let you know I'm relieved that I found another Canadian! :)

Quoting Paige03:

I'm Canadian too. From Ontario. My daughter is in second grade. She attends a public school in our area but we also home school after regular school hours. We do this because of a developmental delay not because we are snobs lol. As far as what you need to do to get him ready school wise is play with him and teach him yourself. In grade 1 he wont be doing a whole lot of book work. (There will be lots but it's mostly hands on). He should know basic shapes and colours for sure. Try colouring with him and have him name each colour as he picks it up to use it. I also use to have my dd name something of the same colour (Green = Grass Blue=Sky) to help her relate the colour to everyday life. Same thing with shapes.
    Counting is usually easier when they have something to count. Such a carrot sticks or smarties which ever you use will help. They need the physical thing to see when counting. Mental math comes later.
    With reading just start with having him know all his ABC's once he gets that down pat start teaching the sounds for each letter. (This can take some time as those X's and Y's can be pretty tricky!) He only needs the basics and you don't have to sit at a table and do it. When your out shopping quiz him and play along. Ask him to count out 5 potatoes. Have him check again counting out loud. Then ask him to sound out the  word and figure out what it starts with.
    Teach is easy when you break it down in a fun way. It doesn't always have to be pencils and workbooks, at least not until later.

Grade 1 is fun. They still play and colour. They have reading time and snack time. Try to focus on the fun things he will be doing and the new experiences he will have. Take him to social groups or parks and let him meet and play with new children. Don't hover but rather let him make friends and try to sort out small problems.

Hope this helps. It is 4am here so I'm a bit sleepy lol Free free to message or add me if you would like!

• frndlyfn
    January 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I would very seriously talk to the schools that you are looking at to know what he needs to know entering school versus daycare.  DD is in 1st grade and it sounds like we have a way different curriculum than what your neighbor canadian stated.   She did not have any formal learning before kindergarten and picked up everything really fast.  She hates writing though, i think partially due to her motor delay. and it took a few weeks for the social aspect to make sense to her.

• Mocking.Jay
    January 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Thank you so much!! :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would very seriously talk to the schools that you are looking at to know what he needs to know entering school versus daycare.  DD is in 1st grade and it sounds like we have a way different curriculum than what your neighbor canadian stated.   She did not have any formal learning before kindergarten and picked up everything really fast.  She hates writing though, i think partially due to her motor delay. and it took a few weeks for the social aspect to make sense to her.

• melisawoosley
    January 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    Im not in Canada, but my dd is in 1st grade now. Off the top of my head, some of the things covered have been: Grouping; counting by 2s, 5s, 10s, etc; lots and lots of reading; basic addition and subtraction; greater than/less than; and Im sure many many other things.
  • Paige03
    by Paige03
    January 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Same with Ontario, children don't have to attend JK SK. We did have DD in JK/SK though. We did not do daycare but instead took her to play groups and stuff. Each family does their own thing. Your programs sound pretty cool though.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Yes and it's all day but my daycare does a kindergarten based program! It's my campus daycare so they're government funded and they mostly focus on empathy. There are studies shown that daycares that integrate kindergarten into their programs have a better success rate in transitioning! It's not common but it's really neat. He's been in daycare since he was two and he will be 6 in July. So he will be going from his third year in daycare right to grade 1!

I hope this explains my question a little better! Hahaha.

Quoting mom2jessnky: