Featured Posts
nickellmomof2
What would you do if this came home in your kids' homework? UPDATE with rest of paper. ANOTHER UPDATE, in red.
January 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My friend's son brought this home as his homework today:

I am completely shocked!  Her son is 5 and this is the garbage they are teaching.  Disgusting.  I told her, my ds wouldn't do it, and I'd be having a nice little chat with the teacher.  Your thoughts?

For those of you who were wondering about the rest of the paper, I asked my friend and she said the assignment was to match the right picture with the word.  Some of the other words were man, pot, cat, cow, fish, etc.  I still think it should have at least been an animal that was "fat" or something, not a little girl.  It just seems offensive to me, and not how I would want my kids to think of someone.

For everyone who has misunderstood and thinks I'm upset by the actual word "fat", I'll just respond to you all at once here...the word is not the issue.  The big deal is the fact that they labeled a little girl fat.  Factfully she is...but this opens the door for 5 year olds to think it's ok for them to call anyone who isn't skinny "fat" and that is NOT ok.  They should have used a cat, like when my DD (who is almost 8) was in Kinder, they read a book about a fat cat who sat on the mat...not a fat girl!  My DD saw this pic and she told me, "that is mean, Mommy, you are not suppose to call people fat.  Why didn't use the fat cat?"  My 7.5 year old gets it!  Fat is a word and used to describe things, but should not be used to describe a person.  Plain and simple.  Society has turned it into a mean and degrading term, wether it is said innocently by a child, it can still be hurtful to label a person as fat...and for those of you who say it's the parents' job to teach them not to call people fat, unfortunately not all children have the benefit of a parent who takes the time to care.  It's those kids who may look at little Suzie in the class (who is bigger than everyone else) and now associate little Suzie with the fat girl in their homework, and poor little Suzie is now the class fat girl!  And don't try to say it's not a big deal, if your DD happened to be little Suzie and came home upset because the kids in her class compared her to the fat girl on their worksheet, then you'd be singing a different tune.  The word fat, being fat, teaching kids what fat is, is not the issue...labeling a child as fat is. 

Replies

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    January 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    I do not get the big deal?seems logical, I am fat. It describes my body not me. And it is one of the simple words to read. Eli's first books were about the fat cat. ;)
  • Traci_Momof2
    January 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I don't see the big deal.  I don't remember for sure but I'm guessing my kids have come home with similar-type words.  It's just learning about the descriptive word.  "Fat" is not a bad word.  It is what it is.  And if my son came home with something like that, and then asked me "Mommy, are you fat?"  I would say, "Yes, I am.  I am trying to correct that problem though because being fat isn't healthy."

I don't see what good it does to avoid the word though.  I am 5'5" and weigh 190lbs.  I am fat.

• coolmommy2x
    January 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    I agree and that is the correct meaning. I would probably think it's an older worksheet, before everything became PC.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Id have no problem with it. Its not being judgemental, its teaching a word.
  • chotovec82
    January 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Yea because if I was fat then I was fat. It's like this; I used to be called ugly all the time at first it might have bothered me but you know what? I was ugly. If I was fat than I would be fat. If I felt bad about being fat than I would work on losing weight. Being fat can be something that you fix. I dunno it is what it is. I don't punish my kids for describing someone as long as it wasn't malciously done.

Quoting TTC2Long:

And if the mom had replied, "Yes, she's fat. That's right," with no judgement or ridicule, just stating a fact, you'd be fine? That's exactly what I'm saying. There are better, more polite words to use if someone is, indeed, fat. Having it on worksheets like this conveys the message that it's perfectly fine to call a person fat as a descriptor. They could just as easily had a fat crayon, chicken, caterpillar, dog, whatever. I'm sure this one example on one worksheet in kindergarten isn't going to scar a child for life, but it does reinforce a message that is already too prevalent in society.

Quoting chotovec82:

Depends... If the kid said that and the mom laughed or something then I might be a bit annoyed. However if the mom said that it wasn't polite to call someone fat than no. That is our job as parents to correct it if it could be hurtful. However if I was fat than that is most likely the only descriptive word that could be used anyways. What if they said, "heavy?"

Quoting TTC2Long:

So you would be fine if, say, a kid pointed to you in a store and said, "Hey mom, look at that fat lady!"??

Quoting chotovec82:

I don't really see the issue. There are fat people and there are skinny people. If fat people take offense to the word, "fat" than they should consider losing the weight. It's like using black or brown to describe another peron; what's wrong with it? If the person is black or brown and the kid is not making fun of skin color the person. Fat, black (in terms of people), white, big, small, tall, short, etc... are all descriptive words. People need to get over it. Seriously we have become a society of whiney people.

• TTC2Long
    January 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    I don't think you're being honest about how that would make you feel. But that's fine. Any woman reading that example knows better. Anyone who gets called ugly, especially as a child, doesn't philosophically say, "Yes, it's true, I AM ugly. Ho hum." And the fact is, the sheet showed girls, who are known to be more sensitive about their weight and appearance, and child-aged girls, at that. At 5, a fat kid probably doesn't have the wherewithal to make the changes necessary to address his weight. If they are heavy, it's probably due to the diet his parents feed him and a lack of exercise. I agree - ADULTS who are overweight and unhappy about it can and should absolutely take charge and lose the weight. But the same can't be said for young kids, who don't control their parents shopping and cooking habits.

Quoting chotovec82:

Yea because if I was fat then I was fat. It's like this; I used to be called ugly all the time at first it might have bothered me but you know what? I was ugly. If I was fat than I would be fat. If I felt bad about being fat than I would work on losing weight. Being fat can be something that you fix. I dunno it is what it is. I don't punish my kids for describing someone as long as it wasn't malciously done.

Quoting TTC2Long:

And if the mom had replied, "Yes, she's fat. That's right," with no judgement or ridicule, just stating a fact, you'd be fine? That's exactly what I'm saying. There are better, more polite words to use if someone is, indeed, fat. Having it on worksheets like this conveys the message that it's perfectly fine to call a person fat as a descriptor. They could just as easily had a fat crayon, chicken, caterpillar, dog, whatever. I'm sure this one example on one worksheet in kindergarten isn't going to scar a child for life, but it does reinforce a message that is already too prevalent in society.

Quoting chotovec82:

Depends... If the kid said that and the mom laughed or something then I might be a bit annoyed. However if the mom said that it wasn't polite to call someone fat than no. That is our job as parents to correct it if it could be hurtful. However if I was fat than that is most likely the only descriptive word that could be used anyways. What if they said, "heavy?"

Quoting TTC2Long:

So you would be fine if, say, a kid pointed to you in a store and said, "Hey mom, look at that fat lady!"??

Quoting chotovec82:

I don't really see the issue. There are fat people and there are skinny people. If fat people take offense to the word, "fat" than they should consider losing the weight. It's like using black or brown to describe another peron; what's wrong with it? If the person is black or brown and the kid is not making fun of skin color the person. Fat, black (in terms of people), white, big, small, tall, short, etc... are all descriptive words. People need to get over it. Seriously we have become a society of whiney people.

• chinosruca
    January 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    Fat is fat. Skinny is skinny. I don't see an issue with it at all. Kids will learn it at some point. A fat turkey, a fat cat, a fat dog, a fat whatever. Are you offended because they used a picture of a child? Part of the problem with obesity in general is people not willing to talk about it. Use it as a teaching opportunity.
  • chinosruca
    January 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Fat and ugly are not the same. Ugly is subjective and fat is actual. If you are fat, you are fat. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some people value different physical attributes. I personally think Kim Kardashian is ugly as can be.....but she is viewes by millions as beautiful.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I don't think you're being honest about how that would make you feel. But that's fine. Any woman reading that example knows better. Anyone who gets called ugly, especially as a child, doesn't philosophically say, "Yes, it's true, I AM ugly. Ho hum." And the fact is, the sheet showed girls, who are known to be more sensitive about their weight and appearance, and child-aged girls, at that. At 5, a fat kid probably doesn't have the wherewithal to make the changes necessary to address his weight. If they are heavy, it's probably due to the diet his parents feed him and a lack of exercise. I agree - ADULTS who are overweight and unhappy about it can and should absolutely take charge and lose the weight. But the same can't be said for young kids, who don't control their parents shopping and cooking habits.

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting chotovec82:

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    January 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I noticed that the fat girl looks much happier than the skinny one. LOL

It's a descriptive word. The picture illustrates the word. I don't see the issue. 

• soymujer
    January 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I have to agree with steel.  I wouldn't be making a huge fuss over this.

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    January 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I agree with steel and co. Much ado about NOTHING!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts