Featured Posts
nickellmomof2
What would you do if this came home in your kids' homework? UPDATE with rest of paper. ANOTHER UPDATE, in red.
January 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My friend's son brought this home as his homework today:

I am completely shocked!  Her son is 5 and this is the garbage they are teaching.  Disgusting.  I told her, my ds wouldn't do it, and I'd be having a nice little chat with the teacher.  Your thoughts?

For those of you who were wondering about the rest of the paper, I asked my friend and she said the assignment was to match the right picture with the word.  Some of the other words were man, pot, cat, cow, fish, etc.  I still think it should have at least been an animal that was "fat" or something, not a little girl.  It just seems offensive to me, and not how I would want my kids to think of someone.

For everyone who has misunderstood and thinks I'm upset by the actual word "fat", I'll just respond to you all at once here...the word is not the issue.  The big deal is the fact that they labeled a little girl fat.  Factfully she is...but this opens the door for 5 year olds to think it's ok for them to call anyone who isn't skinny "fat" and that is NOT ok.  They should have used a cat, like when my DD (who is almost 8) was in Kinder, they read a book about a fat cat who sat on the mat...not a fat girl!  My DD saw this pic and she told me, "that is mean, Mommy, you are not suppose to call people fat.  Why didn't use the fat cat?"  My 7.5 year old gets it!  Fat is a word and used to describe things, but should not be used to describe a person.  Plain and simple.  Society has turned it into a mean and degrading term, wether it is said innocently by a child, it can still be hurtful to label a person as fat...and for those of you who say it's the parents' job to teach them not to call people fat, unfortunately not all children have the benefit of a parent who takes the time to care.  It's those kids who may look at little Suzie in the class (who is bigger than everyone else) and now associate little Suzie with the fat girl in their homework, and poor little Suzie is now the class fat girl!  And don't try to say it's not a big deal, if your DD happened to be little Suzie and came home upset because the kids in her class compared her to the fat girl on their worksheet, then you'd be singing a different tune.  The word fat, being fat, teaching kids what fat is, is not the issue...labeling a child as fat is. 

Replies

• corrinacs
    January 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I agree with you.  With this touchy subject, we just stay away from it.  It WILL bite you in the butt one day if you don't LOL

Quoting steelcrazy:

You do realize that deeming the word "fat" a "bad" word isn't going to do anything to help the obesity problem.  Not to mention that if "fat" is a "bad" word, then shouldn't "thin" be a "bad" word too?  I would really hate for my kids to offend a woman and make her feel anorexic because they called her "thin".

Really, think about it.

• steelcrazy
    January 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM

So, in your opinion "fat" is a "bad" word that I shouldn't be saying and we shouldn't be talking about because it will cause trouble?  Am I understanding you correctly?

Quoting corrinacs:

I agree with you.  With this touchy subject, we just stay away from it.  It WILL bite you in the butt one day if you don't LOL

Quoting steelcrazy:

You do realize that deeming the word "fat" a "bad" word isn't going to do anything to help the obesity problem.  Not to mention that if "fat" is a "bad" word, then shouldn't "thin" be a "bad" word too?  I would really hate for my kids to offend a woman and make her feel anorexic because they called her "thin".

Really, think about it.

• agrisham13mom
    January 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    I would be upset I teach my kids that we don't call people fat! It is hurtful and rude, my DS came home with homework similar to this but it had a picture of a cat not little girls.
  • corrinacs
    January 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Not in the context this sheet is conveying.....no.  But then again, it depends on what its referring to.

And yes, as a mother to a child that repeats things, I do stay away from words like this that could negatively effect other people.  Becuse he has repeated things we've talked about and it was embarrasing :/.

Quoting steelcrazy:

So, in your opinion "fat" is a "bad" word that I shouldn't be saying and we shouldn't be talking about because it will cause trouble?  Am I understanding you correctly?

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Really, think about it.

• TTC2Long
    January 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    A fat caterpillar would have been more appropriate.

Quoting steelcrazy:

First off I am very curious what the other words are on the page.  Secondly, I am fairly confident that they are learning about descriptive words, and like it or not fat is a descriptive word that he will need to know in his life.  Would you prefer that they have a picture of a big fat joint for him to circle?

• kksmomma1019
    January 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

My oldest has a coloring book of opposites. There's a fat and skinny cat in it. It has never really phased me. Just because a kid knows a word, doesn't mean they will use that word to hurt others. Maybe it's a good chance to openly communicate with your child about saying certain things and keeping other things to yourself. ;)

• corrinacs
    January 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

This is what I agree with too.  Not pictures of girls :).

BTW, hey you, how are you doing?

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting steelcrazy:

First off I am very curious what the other words are on the page.  Secondly, I am fairly confident that they are learning about descriptive words, and like it or not fat is a descriptive word that he will need to know in his life.  Would you prefer that they have a picture of a big fat joint for him to circle?

• steelcrazy
    January 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

And you think that your child won't realize that if that caterpillar is fat, if that joint is fat, and if that crayon is fat - well then mommy is fat too?  Use it as a teachable moment instead of making "fat" a "bad" word.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting steelcrazy:

• steelcrazy
    January 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Use this as a teachable moment.  Kids are smarter than we realize and it isn't hard for them to know that a fat person really is fat.  Don't worry about being embarrassed, kids say the darndest things and most grown-ups realize that and don't take offense.

BTW - the fat lady is already well aware that she is fat and a kindergartener pointing it out to her really isn't news or upsetting.

Quoting corrinacs:

Not in the context this sheet is conveying.....no.  But then again, it depends on what its referring to.

And yes, as a mother to a child that repeats things, I do stay away from words like this that could negatively effect other people.  Becuse he has repeated things we've talked about and it was embarrasing :/.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Really, think about it.

• nickellmomof2
    January 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I know it wouldn't do anything to help with the obesity problem.  My thing is, I try to teach my kids not to say anything that can be hurtful and calling someone "fat" can be very hurtful.  As for calling someone "thin", I don't think that word is as controversal as the other...yes it can be offensive as well, but I don't think it would offend someone as quickly as calling someone "fat" would.  

Quoting steelcrazy:

Really, think about it.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts