nickellmomof2
What would you do if this came home in your kids' homework? UPDATE with rest of paper. ANOTHER UPDATE, in red.
January 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My friend's son brought this home as his homework today:

I am completely shocked!  Her son is 5 and this is the garbage they are teaching.  Disgusting.  I told her, my ds wouldn't do it, and I'd be having a nice little chat with the teacher.  Your thoughts?

For those of you who were wondering about the rest of the paper, I asked my friend and she said the assignment was to match the right picture with the word.  Some of the other words were man, pot, cat, cow, fish, etc.  I still think it should have at least been an animal that was "fat" or something, not a little girl.  It just seems offensive to me, and not how I would want my kids to think of someone.

For everyone who has misunderstood and thinks I'm upset by the actual word "fat", I'll just respond to you all at once here...the word is not the issue.  The big deal is the fact that they labeled a little girl fat.  Factfully she is...but this opens the door for 5 year olds to think it's ok for them to call anyone who isn't skinny "fat" and that is NOT ok.  They should have used a cat, like when my DD (who is almost 8) was in Kinder, they read a book about a fat cat who sat on the mat...not a fat girl!  My DD saw this pic and she told me, "that is mean, Mommy, you are not suppose to call people fat.  Why didn't use the fat cat?"  My 7.5 year old gets it!  Fat is a word and used to describe things, but should not be used to describe a person.  Plain and simple.  Society has turned it into a mean and degrading term, wether it is said innocently by a child, it can still be hurtful to label a person as fat...and for those of you who say it's the parents' job to teach them not to call people fat, unfortunately not all children have the benefit of a parent who takes the time to care.  It's those kids who may look at little Suzie in the class (who is bigger than everyone else) and now associate little Suzie with the fat girl in their homework, and poor little Suzie is now the class fat girl!  And don't try to say it's not a big deal, if your DD happened to be little Suzie and came home upset because the kids in her class compared her to the fat girl on their worksheet, then you'd be singing a different tune.  The word fat, being fat, teaching kids what fat is, is not the issue...labeling a child as fat is. 

Replies

• steelcrazy
    January 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

First off I am very curious what the other words are on the page.  Secondly, I am fairly confident that they are learning about descriptive words, and like it or not fat is a descriptive word that he will need to know in his life.  Would you prefer that they have a picture of a big fat joint for him to circle?

• nickellmomof2
    January 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

First off I am very curious what the other words are on the page.  Secondly, I am fairly confident that they are learning about descriptive words, and like it or not fat is a descriptive word that he will need to know in his life.  Would you prefer that they have a picture of a big fat joint for him to circle?

I'm not sure what else is on the page, that's the only thing she posted on FB.  They could very well be learning about descriptive words, however, when my dd was that age and they did descriptive words, they never touched the fat subject.  And what if the parents are bigger, than that could be really offensive.  Not only that, if you have a skinny 5 yr old, he's now going to think that anyone bigger than he is is fat...ya know?  I think it's very easy to teach descriptive words without going here.

• mom22tumblebugs
    January 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

sadly, by 5 he probably already atttributes the description word fat to an obese person.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    Id have no problem with it. Its not being judgemental, its teaching a word.
  • Star127
    by Star127
    January 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    I would have a problem with it, the could have used an animal instead of a person as an example if they were to use it at all. The child will learn that it must be okay to call someone fat bcs its just a "descriptive" or for the ones that know better as an escape goat.
  • corrinacs
    January 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

OMG, I would def. say something to the teacher.  I don't point out things like this to my child, because honestly we don't know what the other person is going through and I'd hate for him to say something mean to them.

This really crosses the line, IMO.

• superwoman8977
    January 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Wow...some people freak out over the dumbest things.  Its not that big of a deal in my opinion.  If we stop this then my kids cant do the rhyme "Jack Sprat" anymore...

• quickbooksworm
    January 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    It's not that big a deal. Also, flipping out on the teacher is pointless because she doesn't pick the work, she just teaches what the district has chosen.
  • steelcrazy
    January 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

You do realize that deeming the word "fat" a "bad" word isn't going to do anything to help the obesity problem.  Not to mention that if "fat" is a "bad" word, then shouldn't "thin" be a "bad" word too?  I would really hate for my kids to offend a woman and make her feel anorexic because they called her "thin".

Really, think about it.

• GotSomeKids
    January 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I'm "fat" and it doesn't bother me.  Although, as a parent, I would teach my child that in and of itself fat is not a bad, but a descriptive word.  But, make them aware that "some" people get hurt feelings about the word.

But, to get homework with the word, no, it wouldn't phaze me.