Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Lovinglife818
first.time bloodwork for my 8 year old..help!!
January 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM
So my 8 year old daughter has to get her thyroid checked. The doctor said her thyroid looks swollen! I have the.same.issue but it was always fine. I'm really nervous about taking her. Does anyone have amy tips on making it as pleasant as possible. Please!!

Replies

• natesmom1228
    January 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Just keep letting her know that you are right there with her. Have her look at you while they are inserting the needle, that is the worst part. Keep her as occupied as possible without her moving. I always had to just have Nathan look right at me and make sure he didn't look away. The people drawing the blood should be able to give you some more help.

• Mama2ETA
    January 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

my 6 year old had my dh and i both with him. He is REALLY antsy and can pitch a fit in seconds. The kid also has no body fat, he's pure muscle, so you understand the delimma. When we were there, my dh just kept talking to him and then he saw the needle. Began to get a bit antsy then I asked him if he had any questions for the nurse. He started talking and before we knew it it was over. I don't even know when she did it lol. Just encourage her to ask questions if she is curious. It will relieve her anxiety.

• mom22tumblebugs
    January 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Make sure the phlebotomist is REALLY good. If she can't do it right on the first try, tell them you want someone else to do it. My poor daughter had someone stick her 3 times. She bruised so bad. You daughter will hardly feel it if the plebolomist does it right.

Also, make sure your daughter is fully hydrated. It is easier to do a blood draw on a hydrated person than a dehydrated person. Also, have her look away, close her eyes whatever to distract her so she doesn't watch the needle going in her arm. If distracted she will hardly take notice.

• steelcrazy
    January 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Take a smart phone or tablet with you and have her watch a video on it while they insert the needle.  That is always the worst part.  I would let her know that it doesn't hurt any worse than getting a shot, which is totally true.

• masonmomma
    January 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    Imo, coddling her will scare her. Tell her the truth that it will hurt for a moment and dont give her a reason to be scared. If you coddle her, she will think its going to be really bad. Just treat it as a uncomfortable but routine thing.
  • 3lilladies81
    January 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    My daughter wa diagnosed with PFAPA before diagnosis she was literally going three times a week for bloodwork it was awful! All you can do is assure her it will be over quickly and then tell her what a big girl she is and how proud you are that she was so brave :) GL momma it will be ok!!
  • masonmomma
    January 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    Oh and let her do what she is comfortable with. My 9 yr old had an iv recently and he wanted to watch. His intrest in it seemed to distract him kwim.
  • saltlifemama
    January 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

My oldest just had to have blood drawn and an IV put in. He is 8 and it was scary. However I just kept reassuring him that it would be okay. I also sat next to an held him while they put in the IV and took the blood. There is no real way to stop them from being afraid but making them feel comfortable and safe helps.

• MsRkg
    by MsRkg
    January 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I agree with this.

Over coddling her will make her more anxious and tense. Explain that she will slight a pinch and then it's all over. 

Quoting masonmomma:

Imo, coddling her will scare her. Tell her the truth that it will hurt for a moment and dont give her a reason to be scared. If you coddle her, she will think its going to be really bad. Just treat it as a uncomfortable but routine thing.

• iansusie
    January 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My poor son has had more bloodwork done in the past 14 months than I care to think about, including a an IV for a CT and a bone marrow testing (which he was put under but he explained to me exactly what they did to him and how much it hurt but his body was not doing what he wanted to do which was get up, so they would stop). He cried a lot while waking from the anesthesia and a few times throughout the day but he was fine after that. He now collects stickers that he gets EVERY TIME he has bloodwork, so he looks forward to it. Even so, some days are better than others. Just let her know that it will be ok, it is not much more painful than a mosquito bite (at least I don't think it is) and the more relaxed she is the quicker they'll be done!

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts