Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
luvmy2kiddosKP
Torn between career and staying home!
January 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I am a registered nurse (focusing on cancer patients) woking full time (plus).  I really enjoy what I do, but as my children are getting a little older and are both in school now (K and 1st grade), I feel like I don't have enough hours in the day (or night).  This past summer (and since) I have cried myself to sleep several nights because my heart actually aches to be home! Does that sound crazy??? I feel so very stressed because my house has NEVER been in the disarray (sp?) that it is now!!!  There is no way that I can possibly get caught up as our nights are short enough the way it is.  My husband is NOT the domestic type at all!!!  I desperately want to be a good wife and mother to our 2 little blessings!  Each day I feel more and more that I want and need to be home in order to take care of things.  I don't want to disappoint anyone at work; but my family means more to me than my work!  Am I being unreasonable???  Any thoughts???  Thank you, from a torn and hurting mom.

Replies

• Luv.My.Kidz
    January 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Is there a way you can go down to part-time at work and still do what you love and work while the kids are in school so you can spend more time at home and keep the home together?

• kjbugsmom1517
    January 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    Honestly id try to go part time before i quit all together. Ive been home for alittle over 5 years and getting back out into the working world has proved freaking brutal. Im in school now in hopes i can get a job and land a decent one by the end of the year. Its hard.
  • luvmy2kiddosKP
    January 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

No.  I thought I was going to, as I just oriented 2 new nurses and my position changed.  So, I thought Yeah, now is my chance to go to part-time.  I asked my Director if I could drop down to have 1 to 1 1/2 days off per week before committing to my new position.  He said Yes I could.  However, a few weeks later, when I walked into a meeting I was told that I absolutely HAD to be full-time as my position was only a full-time position.  I am sure my mouth was wide open in SHOCK and I was so disappointed! 

• luvmy2kiddosKP
    January 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

That is exactly what I am trying to do, is drop down to part-time.  I just don't see how it can happen.  As, they tell me that my position MUST be full-time.  Believe me, I have been doing ALOT of debating with Pros and Cons.  Good luck with school and I hope something works out soon for you!

• steelcrazy
    January 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Is there anyway that you could work 4 10 hour shifts instead of working 5 days a week?  My BIL is a nurse, in the transplant unit, and he is considered full time working 3 12 hour shifts per week.  

• hollydaze1974
    January 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    How would you feel a out switching to home care in order to be home more normal hours?

None one ever spoke their last words " I wish I have worked more"

I had a job that I lost due to an accident . I hope to work PT if I'm ever cleared to work again. But, I must admit, being home when my older son comes home from school. I like being able to (halfway) to play with my toddler . He said "banana" for the first time today...this was a big deal because his language skills are social, not want or needs. So the fact I hear a "request" was special.
    I wouldn't worry about the "disarray" Hell, I call ii " lived in" ! :-)

When they are grown, and you can keep perfection in your house, you'll miss the strewn toys.

It doesn't sound like you are " torn", you just sound like you want regular s schdule so you have time with your growing babies . You can balance better if your hours were more normal. You CAN have a balance life. You just need to consider different options within your field.
    Good luck
  • luvmy2kiddosKP
    January 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

As of right now, NO I cannot work four 10 hour shifts.  Also, I have to pick my kids up from their after school program as my husband works an hour away and cannot pick them up.  I already pay someone to get the kids on the bus, as it comes 10 minutes after I have to leave for work; and I pay for the kids to get dropped off at an after school program (daycare setting) since I am not off work in time for them to ride the bus home.

• soymujer
    January 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Is there a way you can go down to part-time at work and still do what you love and work while the kids are in school so you can spend more time at home and keep the home together?

• steelcrazy
    January 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I think that I would look into other nursing positions that would be PT then if there was no way to make the job work for my current needs.  

I walked away from an amazing career (not a job, but a career) a little over 12 years ago and I often regret it.  Yes, I did eventually get a PT job using my degree, but I don't enjoy it as much as my FT career.  Not to mention that it was really hard to get back into the work force and I'm still looking for the perfect PT job.

• luvmy2kiddosKP
    January 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Thank you for your insight!  My husband does not want me to work home health at all!  And, yes you are right, I just want to spend more time with my children and be there for them.  I don't need my house to be in perfect shape, it has just gotten so far out of control (and I am the one who will have to get it organized again, and clean). When things are at least in order, I will have so much more quality time to spend with the kids in the evenings and weekend and we will spend less time looking for lost items which leads to stress and raised voices, especially on those busy mornings when everyone is leaving at the same time in chaos!

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN