Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
RaizingBoyz
Help me help DS to understand.
January 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

My oldest just turned 8. I have never really made him do any "chores".

He has always been an animal lover. Every time the ASPCA commercial comes on he cries because he feels awful for the animals. There have been many times that I have quickly turned the channel because he cries everytime! Love his heart! I always reassure him that the ASPCA is there to help those animals. Lately he has been asking to join. Things are not super tight in our household and we could afford the $18 a month to support the ASPCA. I got to thinking though and thought I could turn this into a learning experience for my DS. I thought he could do a few chores around the house and his allowance could be used to support the ASPCA. Chores being - pick up shoes, hang up his coat and backpack, put plate away after dinner, etc. When I brought this up to DS last night he immediately did not like the idea. His excuse was that this was a family thing and not just for him.

I still think this would be a great learning experience for DS and teach him to work for something he is passionate about. Am I totally off my rocker?

Anyone have any words of wisdom to offer me to better explain why this would be a good learning experience for him?

TIA!!

Replies

• LilliesValley
    January 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I think tell him that instead of joining ASPCA that each month or each year you will match his donation. Or he chips in the $9 and you'll match it each month. Tell him he's paying half because it's his "cause" and you as a family want to support "his cause." But if he doesn't get the money to you then you stop the donations. It should be up to him to earn that money for a cause he sees fit and will be good for him later in life.

Our daghter has to save half of what she earns, donate a quarter and she can spend a quarter although she generally saves that too. She's 6. She was saving up for a leap pad game that was about $30, but she got it for Christmas so she's just saving that. I think your kids can rarely be too young to learn to save, spend and give!

• othermom
    January 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I think it is a nice idea, or see if he can volunteer at a humane society helping with the animals

All the "chores" you mentioned I expect from my kids. They also help with dishes, sweep the bathrooms, take out small garbages, take their laundry to the wash and put it away and sometimes other things.

• sakpoints
    January 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I think it is a good idea.  It teaches him to work for causes he believes in. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN