RaizingBoyz
Help me help DS to understand.
January 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

My oldest just turned 8. I have never really made him do any "chores".

He has always been an animal lover. Every time the ASPCA commercial comes on he cries because he feels awful for the animals. There have been many times that I have quickly turned the channel because he cries everytime! Love his heart! I always reassure him that the ASPCA is there to help those animals. Lately he has been asking to join. Things are not super tight in our household and we could afford the $18 a month to support the ASPCA. I got to thinking though and thought I could turn this into a learning experience for my DS. I thought he could do a few chores around the house and his allowance could be used to support the ASPCA. Chores being - pick up shoes, hang up his coat and backpack, put plate away after dinner, etc. When I brought this up to DS last night he immediately did not like the idea. His excuse was that this was a family thing and not just for him.

I still think this would be a great learning experience for DS and teach him to work for something he is passionate about. Am I totally off my rocker?

Anyone have any words of wisdom to offer me to better explain why this would be a good learning experience for him?

TIA!!

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    January 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    it sounds like a great idea to me. I would just tell him you have to work for things you are passionate about and if he really wants this he will have to work for it.
    either way he needs to be at least cleaning up after himself.
  • maxswolfsuit
    Max
    January 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I think it's past time for him to have some chores. At eight years old he is old enough to contribute the running of the household. 

I think the idea of donating is a wonderful idea. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Its a great idea...however, all the things you mentioned are things he should be responsible for on his own as part of taking care of and cleaning up after himself. Keeping his stuff picked up is his job.

IMO chores should benefit the family. What I say to my kids is I pay them for things that should be my job as a SAHM. Taking out the trash, scrubbing floors, cleaning bathrooms, taking care of family pets, housework, etc.

If you are going to do this as a lesson, I would have him use a percentage of his allowance and cover the rest. $18 a month is a lot for a chid, I would split it...say $5 a week for chores, make a list post it and mark them off as done. (Mine get 50c credit each time they do a chore) for a max of $5 for the week, then on pay day divide it up ~ $1 goes to savings, $2 to ASPCA and $2 to spend, just like you makeahousehold budget.
  • RaizingBoyz
    January 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! Definately going to use some of it! :)

• tristansmom74
    January 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    I have a better idea. He is old enogh to donate time to your local animal shelter and will do more good that way. If you have the money by all means donate. But most of that money goes to pay for that horrid commercial and pay saleries. Give time to the shelter and you will know that you did some real good.
    Chores he should learn anyway. Mine getts allowance by collecting cans and turning them in. Or picking up trash outside, or doing chores for neighbors.
  • story0702
    January 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I was going to suggest this too. It may be easier to teach him to work for the things you are passionate about if he had hands on work at the local shelter . Maybe volunteer as a family . Then you could have him work for his allowence to purchase new toys, blankets, treats, food , etc. for the animals he is working with . This way he can see first hand the impact his hard work is having . 

Quoting tristansmom74:

I have a better idea. He is old enogh to donate time to your local animal shelter and will do more good that way. If you have the money by all means donate. But most of that money goes to pay for that horrid commercial and pay saleries. Give time to the shelter and you will know that you did some real good.
    Chores he should learn anyway. Mine getts allowance by collecting cans and turning them in. Or picking up trash outside, or doing chores for neighbors.

• vinalex0581
    January 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

good idea to me.

=)

more parents should do this with their children.

• Barabell
    January 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Quoting tristansmom74:

I agree with this.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

If that is allowed- I looked into it for my boys who wanted to volunteer, and in our County they have to be at least 16 years old.  There might be non-county shelters, private shelters, that would allow a younger child to help.

Quoting tristansmom74:

I have a better idea. He is old enogh to donate time to your local animal shelter and will do more good that way.

• RaizingBoyz
    January 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Love this idea! Thanks so much!

Will look into the age thing as well. maybe I can find a private shelter.