Featured Posts
BusyBee908
Armed teachers!?
December 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I was watching the Utah news tonight, because we live in rural Nevada and thats what we get. They were talking about the teachers out there being offered shooting lessons and background checks so they can carry guns at school. This terrifies me! I understand wanting to protect our kids, but what about the teachers who aren't all nice? Im very concerned about my kids being in a room with an adult who has a gun when I'm not there. I love our teachers, but I really think there should be armed officers on school grounds instead. Any thoughts on this? Im worried this will happen here, and I don't know what I'll do. Home school is sounding very appealing lately.

Replies

• SwtSnowflake2
    December 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    The solution is not to arm teachers. They need to focus on not getting past the office.
  • JulesFairy
    December 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    The advantage to arming faculty in a school is two fold. One, gunman cant plan for who is carrying, Like they did in Columbine. And two, response time. It took twenty minutes for first responders to hit the scene in the Sandy Hook shooting. The response system was perfectly executed it just takes time for all the relays to click into place.

I personally would have stipulations regarding being able to extend you CCO onto school grounds including background checks and proficiency/ psychological testing every 6 months.

It may be because we are military and have a lot of friends who concealed carry or have guns in their home, but I honestly see this as a viable solution to the problem.
  • Gaileey
    by Gaileey
    December 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM

obviously this is a huge battle topic right now - but as far as i'm concerned the minute the teachers or faculty in my public school system get armed - my kids no longer go to the public school system....and that's that.

trying to keep shootings from happening - and arming the teachers - is putting a gun in the classroom with your kids EVERY SINGLE DAY and not just if the fluke wacco breaks in - but EVERY SInGLE DAY.  that means a teacher can SNAP  (they are human and have issues too), a older kid can SNAP and overpower a teacher (teens have problems) and they can start shooting up a classroom in a heatbeat. - you're taking a one in a million chance or someone getting into a well locked down school  and making it a chance that can happen every day in every classroom cause now there is a gun present all the time.

everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion on this one - but for me - i don't want my kids near guns period.  so if that happens they go to a private school.

• Endeed
    by Endeed
    December 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Really! Who knows Who's carrying? My little ones need to be considered as worth as much as our money.  We arm our money don't we? No one would suspect that the first grade teacher (female) who is a bit less than 60 yo is a retired Marine.  The libriarian is ex-Navy.  All professionals in education who are engrossed caring for my children and their well being. 

My children attend private school.

• coolmommy2x
    December 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    I agree with you.

Quoting Gaileey:

obviously this is a huge battle topic right now - but as far as i'm concerned the minute the teachers or faculty in my public school system get armed - my kids no longer go to the public school system....and that's that.

trying to keep shootings from happening - and arming the teachers - is putting a gun in the classroom with your kids EVERY SINGLE DAY and not just if the fluke wacco breaks in - but EVERY SInGLE DAY.  that means a teacher can SNAP  (they are human and have issues too), a older kid can SNAP and overpower a teacher (teens have problems) and they can start shooting up a classroom in a heatbeat. - you're taking a one in a million chance or someone getting into a well locked down school  and making it a chance that can happen every day in every classroom cause now there is a gun present all the time.

everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion on this one - but for me - i don't want my kids near guns period.  so if that happens they go to a private school.

• hollydaze1974
    December 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    I would completely welcome it!!! My husband and I talk about it regularly and at least two teachers in each wing and no one would know who they were except the superintendent to keep student / stranger shooters from knowing where/which classes to avoid .
    Now I don't like guns, but I don't like being terrified my child is in danger much worse.
  • SeanandNoahsmom
    December 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I have to agree with this. I do see some logic, but, ultimately, too much can happen.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree with you.

Quoting Gaileey:

• Traci_Momof2
    December 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I do not agree with arming teachers AT ALL.  Teachers are there to teach.  Period.  Their focus should be on the students, not on a firearm on their hip.  I want to know that when I send my kids off to school each day, they are entering a safe environment that is free from potential harm within it's walls.  If a teacher is carrying, then there is potential harm within the walls of the school.  If a school is so concerned about the potential harm outside the walls of the school getting in, then they need to hire armed guards to protect the doors and other entry points.

How many posts have we seen on here about teachers carrying out highly questionable punishments on the students?  Punishments that could be considered borderline abuse.  Do you really trust those teachers to be carrying a weapon on them all the time?  Do you want them punishing your child when they have that weapon right there?  The next post title we will see will be "Teacher threatens student with her own handgun"

Sorry.  My kids will not walk through the doors of a school that allows teachers to carry guns.

• soymujer
    December 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I brought up disgruntled teachers who may go off and start shooting if we did arm teachers to my fellow coworkers (we are teachers) and they basically blew it off.  One  said "you don't see that happening."  I was like yeah, cause we can't bring guns to school!  What if a student pushes this disgruntled teacher and she does start using it?  I don't think arming teachers is the way to go.  Just because it doesn't happen, doesn't mean that it ever will.  

• Jessiejack
    December 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I would be home schooling my child. Right now there is no mental health test to get a gun. I know many people that have guns and a few of them should never have been given a license to carry. I know of 1/2 dozen teacher that I would never trust to carry a gun around my child.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts