Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
corrinacs
What do you think I should do????? (Another Update)
December 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Well, ANother update.  Caden's teacher gladly accepted my suggestion of using another recipe!!!  I was completly NOT expecting that at all!!!!!  I was prepared to offer other suggestions like him visiting antoher room or me bringing him home :).  But nope, she made it so easy for us :) :).  I even offered to bring some of the more obsure ingredients :).  So, just htought I'd update you guys :).

Update:  Just got a note from his teacher.  She's using Betty Crocker boxed mix, which requires eggs :/.  

I want to suggest to her another recipe.  Should I email her back with my suggestion or say that I will talk to her when I pick Caden up (we walk home).  If so, how do I tell her that nicely without making her feel she did something wrong :/.  If eggs are the answer, then I will have to leave him home :/.  I know she will understand that, but I don't know if I should tell her over email or wait until I see her in 2.5 hours.  HELP LOL.

Just got a note from Caden's Kindergarten teacher that his class is going to be making Gingerbread men in class (to eat).  I am glad that they are doing fun activities like this, but.....

He's SEVERELY allergic to eggs :/.  I don't know how I feel with him being at school while his friends are cracking open eggs for the recipe.

His teacher suggseted I bring a cookie for him to eat, but I don't want him to miss out on the fun of baking them too.

I work full time as well, so keep that in mind.

I am thinking about taking him out of class to make gingerbread cookies at home :/.  But I don't know if I could get out of work that easily :/.

What is your opinion?

Replies

• amberdotsmom
    December 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Not sure how much you trust him and the teacher but could you ask the teacher to give him a special job handling only the dry ingredients?  If he could do that there's measuring, sifting etc that would let him be part of the baking without coming near the eggs.  The only issue would be do you trust him to remember when he's in the moment and trust the teacher to keep an eye out that he doesn't touch the wet ingredients or the final batter.

• corrinacs
    December 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I know, and its not only just that.........his friends have to be ADAMENT about washing thier hands too :/.  If one child has the egg white on his hands and touches Caden....thats nearly just as bad :/.

I really wish she had told me about this sooner :( :(.  I could have found a recipe safe for him (and the other child that's gluten free) AND he would have been included :/.  

Argh, I really wish I didn't have ot think about these things, stupid allergies LOL.

Quoting amberdotsmom:

Not sure how much you trust him and the teacher but could you ask the teacher to give him a special job handling only the dry ingredients?  If he could do that there's measuring, sifting etc that would let him be part of the baking without coming near the eggs.  The only issue would be do you trust him to remember when he's in the moment and trust the teacher to keep an eye out that he doesn't touch the wet ingredients or the final batter.

• Lorena
    by Lorena
    December 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Could you ask her to make them with no eggs?
  • corrinacs
    December 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

That's what I'm wondering.  But I don't know if she's purcahsed the ingredients yet or not.  I will pick him up this afternoon and talk to her about it to see what's the lowdown.  If I could suggest a safe recipe for him, then I'd rather do that :) :). Best for everyone!

Quoting Lorena:

• amberdotsmom
    December 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Ouch - Sorry it's that bad.  That does make it harder.  We have allergies here to some odd food but no reactions to contact, it has to be ingested and from all the posts I've read on this type of issue I consider that lucky.  I wish I had a good suggestion for you.  Good luck.

• KenneMaw
    December 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

If she hasn't purchased the ingredients then I would find out if you can give her a safe recipe.  If not, then I think your little man still needs to go to school. Maybe he could bring the icing or decorations.   This allergy maybe something he has to deal with his whole life and he needs to start learning that sometimes he may have to be excused from some projects/activities.    I know how much we all want our kids to be included, but when they have severe allergies, they need to know their boundaries and understand that they may not get to do everything, like other kids.

• jillbailey26
    December 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I would offer this Eggless Gingerbread Cookies for the whole class to do.  If he's severely allergic, he shouldn't be around them at all.

Send her an email asking if she's gotten the ingredients.  Then say "If you haven't...." and offer the recipe and see if it's something she's willing to do.

Quoting corrinacs:

That's what I'm wondering.  But I don't know if she's purcahsed the ingredients yet or not.  I will pick him up this afternoon and talk to her about it to see what's the lowdown.  If I could suggest a safe recipe for him, then I'd rather do that :) :). Best for everyone!

Quoting Lorena:

• Christie825
    December 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I would try to keep him home that day if I were you. Or better yet, if you can get off work, why not ask the teacher if you can come into class and help out for the day.

• corrinacs
    December 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Thanks.  Unfortuantely I don't think we could use that very recipe because there's no place for boiling.  I'm going to ask her today if she's gotten the ingredients and if not I will give her this recipe I got from all recipes.com

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=15293&origin=detail&servings=36&metric=false

Otherwise, I will have to stay home.  Even if I'm there, I would be too ancy about the eggs everywhere :/.  i don't even have eggs at home!

Quoting jillbailey26:

I would offer this Eggless Gingerbread Cookies for the whole class to do.  If he's severely allergic, he shouldn't be around them at all.

Send her an email asking if she's gotten the ingredients.  Then say "If you haven't...." and offer the recipe and see if it's something she's willing to do.

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting Lorena:

• corrinacs
    December 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Oh, he knows this all too well :/.  Don't worry, he's learned that since day one :/.  He's had to deal with his food allergies since he was a baby so he knows........but we try to accomodate every once in a while :).  Birthday parties, I have to bring him his own cookies.  School, the same thing.  His friends eat cupcakes and he eats his cookies (or whatever I bring him).  This time its very different because there may be loose eggs in teh mix :/.

I will talk to his teacher today.  If she's already got the recipe and ingredients together then he will most likely have to stay home during that activity :/.  I hate to call off of work over something like this, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Its a lot more than about "not being in activities".......its his life :/.  Sure, his friends can be a part of that activity while he goes eslewhere...... but then Suzie doesn't wash her hands afterwards or the teacher didn't clean the tables perfectly well..... and he returns to class........that woudln't be good thing either :/.

So, that's what I'm mulling over now.  I think I've got a plan, but I'm glad I posted.  Kind of makes me feel better about my decision to take him out of school if I have to...but hopefully not.

Quoting KenneMaw:

If she hasn't purchased the ingredients then I would find out if you can give her a safe recipe.  If not, then I think your little man still needs to go to school. Maybe he could bring the icing or decorations.   This allergy maybe something he has to deal with his whole life and he needs to start learning that sometimes he may have to be excused from some projects/activities.    I know how much we all want our kids to be included, but when they have severe allergies, they need to know their boundaries and understand that they may not get to do everything, like other kids.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN