mommy936
Should we reward kids for good grades
November 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Do you think children should get a reward for good grades or should they be expected to get good grades in school?  If you give a child a reward one time for getting good grades, do they expect a reward every time? 

Replies

• disneymom2two
    November 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

For elementary school, I pay money for O's in effort.  S is expected but if the extra effort is put forth to get an O, I reward it.  My son's in highschool.  I pay for A's.  B's are expected but if the extra effort is put forth to get an A, I'll reward that as well.  N's in effort for needs improvement and anything less than a B for the high schooler mean consequences - usually a reduction in tv, computer time.

• frndlyfn
    November 23, 2012 at 3:38 AM

DD is in 1st grade and they use a number system until next year I think.  For an overall report card, we go out for ice cream or something.  We have certain goals set in place so that when she achieves them there is a reward whether it be dinner out or a small toy.  Last year she "failed"gym but it was due to an unnoticed motor skill delay so we did not take anything away for that.

• Amanda52007
    November 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM
    I struggled with this a while ago and asked in another group.

I decided that I expect nothing less than all As and great behavior. So, I'm not rewarding something that their supposed to do.

I brag on them for days, post about it on FB, call their dad to brag, but that's it.
  • Clei420
    by Clei420
    November 23, 2012 at 4:34 AM
    I do because my children are doing so much better than I did in school. I my Kindergarten child gets to pick something fun. While my middle school child gets money much though a buck for A's and 50 cents for B's. Never thought about C's because she never gets those.
  • Kris_PBG
    November 23, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    We always do something to acknowledge great report cards.

Dh and I don't like th concept of paying them, but we always do something experiential. What we have done varies between going to get ice cream, an ice skating trip, going out to dinner, etc...

We got free tickets to Legoland, so this time we are doing a Legoland trip with friends! (I wouldn't do something this big typically, but the free tickets make it possible!!)
  • GotSomeKids
    November 23, 2012 at 5:33 AM

We don't give them anything during the year.  But, if they work hard and get B's and above and no bad behavior marks, we tend to get them something at the end of the school year.

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    November 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    We are having trouble so at the moment I am rewarding good effort and behavior in the week. We have not gotten to the end of the year. I do not plan on paying for good grades but there probably be some kind of reward...
  • mckinneymom918
    November 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    We do for all A's. and we let her pick where we go for dinner. If you don't reward What's to keep the good grades coming home and the kids trying their hardest? But I think each kids is different... Some need more encouragement to continue doing their best, and I think kids "best" vary.
  • rnmom4lif
    November 23, 2012 at 8:22 AM

i usuaslly just give alot of praise. but the grandparents always give them money.....they get a certain amount for each A and then a certain amount for every B. so if they want money they gotta keep thier grades up. its always known that its an expectation in this house and that if they are struggling we will help them. they know that we expect them to do thier best. if we see them busting butt and they still get a C well then ill be proud of them for working hard. but i want to see that they are making the effort. they also know if they bring home anything less than a C there will be definate consequences....

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    November 23, 2012 at 8:23 AM

We did in early elementary, but now the rewards are ingrained.  Making the honor roll is their goal.  They WANT to be on that list and would be mortified if they were not.  They also now understand that they are in certain classes that others are not because of their high grades.  So to answer the question.  I think it's great in the lower elementary grades to set a tone and then the pattern will be established.