Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
janitablue
Parental control on the computer
November 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I consider myself to be very laid-back. I usually let my eight year old son go on YouTube on my laptop to watch WWE. Last weekend I caught him watching stuff that he was not age appropriate for him. He cried and beg me not to tell hubby. Since that incident he has become the perfect son. Anyhoo I put password on my I don't know if I am using the correct wording please forgive site and create a personal program for him using parental control.

Here is my question how can I make sure that he does not go any adult website especially on YouTube.

Replies

• frndlyfn
    November 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Other than strict supervision, no clue.  I do not go on youtube so i do not know if there are any controls for it.

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I agree with the PP. Supervision is the only guarantee. I know there's software out there, but I also know kids figure out ways around it. 

I have a few years before I have to worry about this. But it's a big concern. 

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    November 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    I have the computer in a room I walk by in frequently. And I watch his favorite songs to check what he likes about once every couple weeks....
  • snowangel1979
    November 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Pretty much just supervision. My computer is in my room.

We had a big fight last week about YouTube too. All his friends go on it blah blah (normal child lines LOL)
    Imo my DS doesn't need to be on it and he was. I grounded him for a week from the computer.
    My cousin allows her DD to go on it and she said a lot of things get past the controls. You can search something like Christmas and she said she say more s-- vidios then Christmas stuff.
  • anxiousschk
    November 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Depends on the type of computer you have.  

I have a mac and DD has her own profile on it.  I have control over her profile and all websites she can access.  If any websites are to be added, a password (that she doesn't know) must be entered.  

Check to see if your computer has different profiles available, most do.  Then check to see what type of controls you can have over them.  

• CandyRayne
    November 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    The computer is a confused subject for me with my kids as well. I am not really strict on what the can see as long as it's not sexually explicit or extra harsh. My fear is my kids chatting on the internet with strangers. That is why I try to always keep them supervised. They also need to be talked to about internet safety. When they get into teenage years we will have less control of computer access.
  • jaytee
    by jaytee
    Jen
    November 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

My husband has websites blocked but I don't know how! I keep a pretty close eye on what they do and they know that we can check their history. They know what they can and can't watch. So far so good.

• mommaFruFru
    November 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    No clue! We don't allow computer access except at school.
  • natesmom1228
    November 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I don't go on youtube so I don't feel he needs to be watching it either. I am also not a fan of wrestling either.

• carakitty
    November 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I don't think there are any parental controls on YouTube.

I would stick with vigilant supervision.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN