Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
maxswolfsuit
What should the repercussion be when parents...
Max
November 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

don't support their child's education?

If a parent won't contact the school, attend conferences, monitor homework, get their child to school regularly, or return phone calls should there be a consequence for that?

Is this something CPS should get involved in or maybe the court system. Should involvement in education be tied to PA benefits? Or is it a parent's right to neglect their child's education?

Debate...

Replies

• Cindy18
    by Cindy18
    November 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    WOW! What a great debate.!! I've never thought about it because it's soooo foreign to me not to be involved. My first reaction is that it's nelegect. Maybe CPS should get involved......
  • rnmom4lif
    November 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

yes there definatly should be a penalty. i know some places there are. we used to live in west virgina and our neighbor got fined 8,000 dollars for her son missing 8 days ( in a row) without a note from a dr. i honestly dont know if it should be that exreme but if its a pattern and the kid is missing all the time or not doing well and the parents are making no effort whatsoever to even try to help then yeah they should be fined or something. 

• aetrom
    by aetrom
    November 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    It is hard to judge because there are cases where parents are not able too.... But ii think that is few and far between. It is sad when that happens but seeing some neglect over the years it is minor IMO. Involving cps if there are no other signs would be extreme for already swamped caseworkers. There could be a tax incentive or something fir those who do and maybe that would motivate those who do not? I don't know!
  • Babujai
    by Babujai
    November 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    I don't know about a penalty, but there should definitely be some sort of counseling as a result of non-involvement. Parents' economic level and employment flexibility should be taken into account though.
  • maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Quoting aetrom:

It is hard to judge because there are cases where parents are not able too.... But ii think that is few and far between. It is sad when that happens but seeing some neglect over the years it is minor IMO. Involving cps if there are no other signs would be extreme for already swamped caseworkers. There could be a tax incentive or something fir those who do and maybe that would motivate those who do not? I don't know!

What do you mean not able to?

I'm not talking about missing a conference because of a work schedule. I'm talking being 100% unavailable to school personnel. Including hiding when they come to your house to talk to you. 

I agree there's no way CPS could handle it. 

I'm just frustrated!

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

WOW! What a great debate.!! I've never thought about it because it's soooo foreign to me not to be involved. My first reaction is that it's nelegect. Maybe CPS should get involved......

They would laugh me off the phone. It's not even close to what they condider neglect. 

Lice ridden filthy kids don't even get help from CPS. It's so sad, the low standard set for kids living in poverty. 

• Lydlou02
    November 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Hell no. my divorced mom raised 7 kids all by herself. She sure as hell couldn't afford to take two whole days off working her job @ bk, or missing class @ the community collage to attend all our conferences. We were well cared for and didn't need cps harassing our already harried mom.
    And connecting that to benefits like FS and section 8 would've done nothing but make us go to bed hungry, if we still had beds to go to.
  • maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Did your mom do anything to support your education?

Did you go to school regularly, do homework? Did she call teachers back when they called or respond to notes? If any of you struggled did she do anything to help you?

I already said in a previous reply I'm not talking about parents who can't attend conferences because of work schedules. 

Quoting Lydlou02:

Hell no. my divorced mom raised 7 kids all by herself. She sure as hell couldn't afford to take two whole days off working her job @ bk, or missing class @ the community collage to attend all our conferences. We were well cared for and didn't need cps harassing our already harried mom.
    And connecting that to benefits like FS and section 8 would've done nothing but make us go to bed hungry, if we still had beds to go to.
  • mhaney03
    November 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Where would you draw the line? I'm supposed to initial by the date every day in their agendas and most of the time, I forget to.  But they do all their homework and I attend every open house and have requested meetings with teachers.  but can I get in trouble for not initialing their agendas?  Sounds like a slippery slope here.  I like the rules the way they are.  If  a a child reports abuse to school, they have to investige.  If a child reaches so many missed days, they have to investigate.

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Quoting mhaney03:

Where would you draw the line? I'm supposed to initial by the date every day in their agendas and most of the time, I forget to.  But they do all their homework and I attend every open house and have requested meetings with teachers.  but can I get in trouble for not initialing their agendas?  Sounds like a slippery slope here.  I like the rules the way they are.  If  a a child reports abuse to school, they have to investige.  If a child reaches so many missed days, they have to investigate.

I see what you're saying and I agree that is a slippery slope. 

Sadly, investigating after missing so many days is consistent everywhere. My district has an obscene attendance policy. A child has to miss 20 days each semester before anything is done. And then it's just a letter. Another 10 days before they get sent to court. Even then, the judge just scolds them. So kids can miss 50+ days a year with no consequence. 

I have a student right now that I am trying to get an IEP for. But I need a documented parent conference for the RTI process to progress. I've called over and over, sent notes with the child, mailed notes, and sent the social worker. Mom answered the phone one time and scheduled a conference but didn't show up for it. 

She's been in school for 7 years and none of teachers have ever met her parents or spoken to them on the phone. I've never gotten more than a signature from her as far as communication. I know she's literate because I taught her other child years ago and she was involved then. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN