Featured Posts
maxswolfsuit
What should the repercussion be when parents...
Max
November 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

don't support their child's education?

If a parent won't contact the school, attend conferences, monitor homework, get their child to school regularly, or return phone calls should there be a consequence for that?

Is this something CPS should get involved in or maybe the court system. Should involvement in education be tied to PA benefits? Or is it a parent's right to neglect their child's education?

Debate...

Replies

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 18, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Quoting robynjavan7104:

I think there should be a seperate division set up thst brings acs and the school together. It's important for parents to be involved in their kids education. I'm not talking about the parent who misses one conference but like you said the parent who has never been seen who's kid is failing, something needs to be done. My mother didn't care about education at all, she let me and my sisters stay home when ever we wanted and never went up to the school or even spoke to the school. Guess what out of 7 of us only 2 went to college and that was only after we got GED's and had a baby. I wish someone would've stepped in especially because there was other abuse going on.

I think that's the case most of the time. Parents who take no interest in their child's education are often neglectful in other ways too. It wouldn't surprise me if other forms of abuse went on in these homes too. 

I'm so sorry you went through that. I;m glad you were able to overcome. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 18, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

if the school cant get a hold of them, from what i understand cps will get involved depending on offense.  I know cps was called on a parent for not picking up their kinder child after the 5th time.  Truancy (not attending school) is taken very seriously as well here.  Now for the other stuf, not much can be done if the parent is always working so they can not make it to the school for meetings.

Maybe in some places the CPS would get involved, but not here. 

Not picking a child up is neglect so it's a little different than not contacting the school at all. 

I do understand that working parents might not be able to make meetings. But there's always a way to get in touch with a teacher. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 18, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Quoting soymujer:

You can't force a parent to be involved in their child's education.  Besides, maybe there's circumstances that you don't know about that they can't be.  I think it would be crazy to call CPS for something like that.  I mean, it's not like they are harming the child.

You don't think sitting back and doing nothing while a child is failing harms them?

• little.worthen
    November 18, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    While I think parents who don't monitor their child's education suck, I don't think controlling people is the way to go it never usually helps like you want it to. Some parents just suck. In an ideal world all parents would be great but in reality a lot aren't. Maybe instead of punishing the POS's, more help and support should be made for the child so that they can at least get the support they need somewhere.
  • calsmom62
    November 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    The behaviors you are describing(hiding from personnel, failure to respond habitually) would set off alarms to me that the child is not in a healthy environment, and a call to cps would not be unwarranted. Parents might be unsupported in a mental health situation, and the child may be coping with a difficult situation.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting aetrom:

It is hard to judge because there are cases where parents are not able too.... But ii think that is few and far between. It is sad when that happens but seeing some neglect over the years it is minor IMO. Involving cps if there are no other signs would be extreme for already swamped caseworkers. There could be a tax incentive or something fir those who do and maybe that would motivate those who do not? I don't know!

What do you mean not able to?

I'm not talking about missing a conference because of a work schedule. I'm talking being 100% unavailable to school personnel. Including hiding when they come to your house to talk to you. 

I agree there's no way CPS could handle it. 

I'm just frustrated!

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Of course the child is coping with a difficult situation. But I can't call CPS based on that. I can only report if I have a solid reason to suspect abuse. A gut feeling isn't enough. I could be reprimanded for calling because of a parent avoiding me. If I did it every time this happened I most certainly would be reprimanded and flagged by CPS. 

Quoting calsmom62:

The behaviors you are describing(hiding from personnel, failure to respond habitually) would set off alarms to me that the child is not in a healthy environment, and a call to cps would not be unwarranted. Parents might be unsupported in a mental health situation, and the child may be coping with a difficult situation.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting aetrom:

It is hard to judge because there are cases where parents are not able too.... But ii think that is few and far between. It is sad when that happens but seeing some neglect over the years it is minor IMO. Involving cps if there are no other signs would be extreme for already swamped caseworkers. There could be a tax incentive or something fir those who do and maybe that would motivate those who do not? I don't know!

I'm not talking about missing a conference because of a work schedule. I'm talking being 100% unavailable to school personnel. Including hiding when they come to your house to talk to you. 

I'm just frustrated!

• calsmom62
    November 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    I noticed in a later post you had indicated that the same family had one time been more involved when you had taught their older children .... Its too bad these older sibs couldnt be a resource for your current student...

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Of course the child is coping with a difficult situation. But I can't call CPS based on that. I can only report if I have a solid reason to suspect abuse. A gut feeling isn't enough. I could be reprimanded for calling because of a parent avoiding me. If I did it every time this happened I most certainly would be reprimanded and flagged by CPS. 

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting aetrom:

I'm just frustrated!

• MichelleSw
    November 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I don't think so... You can't MAKE someone be a better parent. Also, some parents work and can't be as involved as they like. I'm pretty involved but I have missed things due to work... but I also corresponded via frequently with DDs teacher. I will say it breaks my heart when I repeatedly see the same little girl crying because her mom didn't come for field trip, book fairs, parties :( She's kind of my school kid now. I buy things and treat her like my own so she doesn't feel left out.

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM

It's just a terrible situation all around. I think the older kids are focused on their own needs. No seems to care about the youngest one. 

All three are incredibly bright kids with a terrible outlook and attitude about school. :(

Quoting calsmom62:

I noticed in a later post you had indicated that the same family had one time been more involved when you had taught their older children .... Its too bad these older sibs couldnt be a resource for your current student...

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting aetrom:

I'm just frustrated!

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    November 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

She's lucky to have you take an interest in her. 

Quoting MichelleSw:

I don't think so... You can't MAKE someone be a better parent. Also, some parents work and can't be as involved as they like. I'm pretty involved but I have missed things due to work... but I also corresponded via frequently with DDs teacher. I will say it breaks my heart when I repeatedly see the same little girl crying because her mom didn't come for field trip, book fairs, parties :( She's kind of my school kid now. I buy things and treat her like my own so she doesn't feel left out.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts