Featured Posts
Fairywings1223
Head Lice
November 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM
My girls have gotten it and we have tried everything. Their school keeps sending thek home and then it costs $18 per kid to have their hair checked. Has anyone else had this problem? They have missed a ton of school. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it.

Replies

• diaperstodating
    November 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    No. Bump
  • CBMMOM
    by CBMMOM
    November 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Why does it cost money to have their heads checked?  When my daughter got head lice,I combed her hair with  metal lice comb while it was wet with conditioner it. I dipped the comb in alcohol after each comb through. It worked for us. Good luck.

• PinkParadox
    Use lice comb every day for 10 days. Vacuum every day. Bag up all stuffed animals for a month. Throw pillows and jackets in dryer every day, for 10 days. Make sure all bedding has been washed in hot water. Throw out all hair ties....treat your brushes and put in freezer every night. Be sure you retreat there head 7-10 days after first treatment.
  • periwinkle163

Get the prescription strength stuff from the dr. and then pick, pick, pick. Once they are gone keep the girls hair braided or up. Tell them not to share anything hair-related at school. Also make sure you treat your home, their brds, pillows, anywhere they might sit.

• periwinkle163
    November 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Quoting PinkParadox:

Use lice comb every day for 10 days. Vacuum every day. Bag up all stuffed animals for a month. Throw pillows and jackets in dryer every day, for 10 days. Make sure all bedding has been washed in hot water. Throw out all hair ties....treat your brushes and put in freezer every night. Be sure you retreat there head 7-10 days after first treatment.

The freezer tip is genius!

• Fairywings1223
    November 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    They have to be checked by the health dept here

Quoting CBMMOM:

Why does it cost money to have their heads checked?  When my daughter got head lice,I combed her hair with  metal lice comb while it was wet with conditioner it. I dipped the comb in alcohol after each comb through. It worked for us. Good luck.

• urbpro
    by urbpro
    November 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM

This exactly, except I have 4 daughters with long hair so I did this every day for 2 weeks along with washing their linens and drying all their pillows and things on high heat. With so much hair around the house I couldn't risk not getting it all. Good luck :o)

Quoting CBMMOM:

• Fairywings1223
    November 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    Thanks its been frustrating so far
  • Fields456
    November 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    I did a natural treatment and it worked the first time. It's a mix of vinegar ( causes the nuts to loose their stickiness so u can comb them out) mayo and Vaseline ( suffocates the live ). Warn it up so u can mix it together apply to hair wrap in a towel and let sit for an hour. Then comb out with a lice/nit comb. Do not wash with shampoo till the next day and comb everyday for 7 days and repeat treatment if needed. Also make sure oh are killing them in the house u can buy a spray and wash all bedding and toys u can an then. Put the rest in trash bags for atleast a week
  • CBMMOM
    by CBMMOM
    November 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Quoting Fairywings1223:

They have to be checked by the health dept here

Quoting CBMMOM:

You mean every time they get sent home from school the health dept. has to check before they can go back? And they charge $18?? Wow! That stinks!! They don't give you anything to treat it for that $18?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts