Featured Posts
diaperstodating
Santa Clause questions
November 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM
My parents never told me Santa existed. My boys knew the truth about Santa from the beginning as well. For those of you with children who do believe in Santa, I am curious about your Christmas and gave a few questions:

How do you know what to get your child? Do you ask him/her what they want? Do you read the letter they wrote to Santa before you mail it? Or do you over hear them sitting on Santa's lap?

If your child does not get everything on his/her Christmas list what do you tell him/her?

Update: If your child is not Caucasian, did your child question that Santa is Caucasian and not your race?
and lastly
How do you explain the mall Santa's? Do you call them his "helpers"?

Replies

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    November 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    Ok ill try to address all these... Lol

My kids don't write letters yet I just plain out ask what they would like Santa to bring them and my kids are Not shy about seeing something they want and letting me know they like it and they want it.

As for gifts they don't get they know Santa and his elves only have so much time to dedicate to each child's gifts and that they might not get everything they want and hat is okay.

Santa comes in many shapes and sizes because people come in many shapes and sizes.
    Santa is magical and he can copy himself or be really really fast to be two places at once or even more to fill the needs of millions of children.

I think that's all if impress times then not Magic is almost always the answer. Lol
    My boys are 5 and almost 3

Quoting diaperstodating:

My parents never told me Santa existed. My boys knew the truth about Santa from the beginning as well. For those of you with children who do believe in Santa, I am curious about your Christmas and gave a few questions:

How do you know what to get your child? Do you ask him/her what they want? Do you read the letter they wrote to Santa before you mail it? Or do you over hear them sitting on Santa's lap?

If your child does not get everything on his/her Christmas list what do you tell him/her?

Update: If your child is not Caucasian, did your child question that Santa is Caucasian and not your race?

and lastly

How do you explain the mall Santa's? Do you call them his "helpers"?
  • NCISfan2003
    November 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I have never told my child that Santa exists. We go to the mall and sit on Santa's lap but my child knows it is just a man dressed up in a costume. I refuse to tell my child that some man flies around the world and will give him presents when it is not true.

• SwtSnowflake2
    November 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    My kids get one gift from Santa. the rest is from the family. Usually the gift from Santa is the big gift or the one they wanted really bad. We ask them over a few weeks what they want for Christmas and ask what are they going to ask Santa for Christmas. We also tell them you get what you get from Santa and don't throw a fit. Santa gives what he wants to give. Santa is too busy at the North Pole so he has Santa helpers who work for him and give him the lists.

When my kids get older and stop believing I will tell them the spirit of Santa is real and also tell them the story of St. Nicholas.

I believed in Santa and when I found out the truth I wasn't upset or sad. I still love Christmas and the magic of it.
  • jaytee
    by jaytee
    Jen
    November 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

How do you know what to get your child?   I ask them to make a list but usually I end up helping them with their list. I mean I do know mostly what they like, lol!

Do you ask him/her what they want?    Yes I do ask them what they would like but I know they would like almost anything the received.

Do you read the letter they wrote to Santa before you mail it?    They don't usually write a letter to Santa

Or do you over hear them sitting on Santa's lap?   If they do sit on Santas lap I usually do overhear what they say

If your child does not get everything on his/her Christmas list what do you tell him/her?   My kiddos don't expect to get everything on their list. They know Santa has a budget!!!

Did your child question that Santa is Caucasian and not your race?   They have never asked about Santas race but Santa is our race (usually) so maybe that's why

How do you explain the mall Santa's? Do you call them his "helpers"?   We say they are Santas helpers

• HaileysMom07180
    November 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

my sister lives in North Pole Alaska and there's a santa house less than a mile from her house.  so my dd calls her aunt and asks her to go tell santa for her.  its also cool cuz when she's naughty, i tell her i'm gonna call her aunt and she's gonna tell santa.  my dd will correct ppl when they say santa lives in the north pole and tell them that santa doesn't live in the north pole but north pole alaska, lol, its super cute.

• janitablue
    November 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I ask my son what  he wants  for christmas. I don't tell him to write a letter to Santa or to sit on Santa 's lap to take a picture. If he does not get everything on his list he knows that mom and dad could not afford it...............

• diaperstodating
    November 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM

We don't do Santa. We celebrate the birth of Jesus. (Yes I know you can do both, I have friends at church who do but we don't). I was just curious. Thank you for answering my questions.

Quoting auroragold:

The santas in the mall are helpers

No one has ever really SEEN santa (if they did, they don't get presents) so no one knows what he looks like anyway.

Or you could share the story of the ORIGINAL REAL St. Nicholas - who was the Bishop of Myra from the area around Turkey and thus, a browner-skinned man than what is currently portrayed  - whose gifts of charity became the basis for Santa.

I know what to get my child from conversations throughout the course of the year; paying attention to what she says she likes/doesn't like.

We've never done a LIST to Santa (in our house ASKING for specific presents is sort of tacky)

She is thrilled with surprises of any sort so Christmas Day is magical regardless of what is and is not beneath the tree. 

• notjstanothrmom
    November 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

We write letters together. They know that Santa doesn't go out and make/buy everything on their lists, they aren't selfish. I do explain them as helpers but we don't go to the mall.

• diaperstodating
    November 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your answers. Very interesting. I guess all the stuff in movies is not true, lol... sitting on Santa's lap, making a list and mailing it to the North Pole. I guess families don't do that stuff anymore, if they even did.

My grandfather was a minister before he retired. When my parents were kids Christmas was all about the birth of Jesus, and when my husband and I were children, the same thing. We continue the tradition with our children.

• kLynch315
    November 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM

This is what we do also. 

Quoting jillbailey26:

We sort of halfway do Santa.  He's not a big deal here, but we don't discourage the belief.  We don't go visit him at the mall and we don't write letters.  They make a Christmas list and we get the stuff.  Usually the one big thing that we can't wrap is from Santa, the rest is from us.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts